Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know....

Took the bike out today and started to think this Benelli is looking a bit dated compared to whats out there :eek:

The design in its day was cutting edge but I think its looking a bit tired...

Why havent they made a new design?

Surley theres a market out there for a new style Tornado?...:eek:

·
Registered
864 Posts
The style of the Tornado is a timeless classic.. a bit like a Porsche 911.
A lot of the "modern" Japanese stuff are chasing fashion trends and look shite imo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:clap: Dont get me wrong, I love the bike....

I was just thinking how the other makers bikes were starting to look very simular... A part from the rear fans :rolling:

Just wondered what the Benelli designers would come up with today - Would they be able to design a bike 7 years in front of all the other wannabes

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
How about this then :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeap, got to agree with Neely about the looks. The Tornado is "aging" very cracefully indeed, and still looks pretty good, especially in the 900cc classic green and silver, red and in the LE and RS form, too. I think they sort of missed the idea of ageless style with the later paint jobs, though. My red RS is getting compliments from both bikers and regular people alike. It is indeed like Ford GT or Ferrari Testarossa, a design that looks good and easily recognizable after a few decades.

As for getting a brand new Tornado with new technical features which might in turn dictate some of the design details as well, that's another matter. Coming up with an all new Tornado is probably very expensive and risky in this economy, so it's up to the Asian money, I believe. Perhaps we'll see a couple of mods and a face lift in the near future. Hopefully they'll come up with something as tasty as the old one, without compromising too much with today's fashion. Hopefully they come up with something stylish, along the lines of what Ducati did with the 1098. Not looks-wise, but style-wise.
I think the old Laverda 3-cylinder prototype could be one good study to start from, even though it's now about a decade old. After all, it was originally designed to be used with the same 900cc engine that eded up being used in the original Tornado.

·
I want a TreK. And a TnT.
1,215 Posts
I know what your saying - I'd agree that the Tornado doesn't look absolutely cutting edge any more. Bikes like the KTM RC8 look much more radical and modern.

Saying that, I think the Tornado will age much better than most of today's designs. I'd put it in the same category as the 916 - which still looks more stunning, to me at least, than any Ducati since. A re-design for the Tornado might bring it up-to-date, but the original will always be the best :D :D :D

The bit that ages it the most is the silencer - it's just way to big and plain-looking for an otherwise very striking design, and spoils the rear end of the bike. It's the Remus for my money, but almost anything other than the standard 80's / 90's boring tubular job is an improvement.

I went out twice over the weekend and used up more fuel than I could imagine possible, but still a b s o l u t e l y - f o o k i n - l o v e - i t ! :ele:

cheers,
Dom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or, given the current trend, perhaps they just skip the 1130cc Tornado, and dress the new 756cc twin up with some fancy fairing, and make it a new middleweight Tornado. Triumph did a pretty successful transition with the Daytona 675.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what your saying - I'd agree that the Tornado doesn't look absolutely cutting edge any more. Bikes like the KTM RC8 look much more radical and modern.

Saying that, I think the Tornado will age much better than most of today's designs. I'd put it in the same category as the 916 - which still looks more stunning, to me at least, than any Ducati since. A re-design for the Tornado might bring it up-to-date, but the original will always be the best :D :D :D

The bit that ages it the most is the silencer - it's just way to big and plain-looking for an otherwise very striking design, and spoils the rear end of the bike. It's the Remus for my money, but almost anything other than the standard 80's / 90's boring tubular job is an improvement.

I went out twice over the weekend and used up more fuel than I could imagine possible, but still a b s o l u t e l y - f o o k i n - l o v e - i t ! :ele:

cheers,
Dom
Your quotes about the exhaust are so true....

I think the Remus bike suites the style ...

Maybe i'll change my mind when mines been run in and I can nail it!

·
3,085 Posts
laverda engine

i remeber that old triple engine mock up for a intended laverda rebirth, what do you know about that becoming the benelli one?
I know ex ferrari formula 1 engineer Riccardo Rossa designed the Benelli motor.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
I took my Pride & joy to Box Hill the other week for a meet of the Italian Sportbike Club, there were MV`s, Ducati`s (including 2 desmosedici`s) Aprilia`s & Laverda`s & my baby one Bike of the day.................Enough said.:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I The bit that ages it the most is the silencer - it's just way to big and plain-looking for an otherwise very striking design, and spoils the rear end of the bike. It's the Remus for my money,
cheers,
Dom
My sentiments exactly.. ;) That's why I got Russ to fit mine with the Remus, and I love it.. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've decided when my bike goes in for a service then i'll get the Remus pipe. Don't want that other thing that looks like 3 bean cans welded together :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
faulkds said:
I've decided when my bike goes in for a service then im get the Remus pipe.
:clap: Nice one.. :clap:

faulkds said:
Don't want that other thing that looks like 3 bean cans welded together :rolleyes:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I know what i'll do...

Ill take off the perfectly tuned Arrow exhaust, which probably went through various development stages and replace it with the 3 welded bean cans that resemble an ice cream cone :doh: IMO

Actually I can see the Italian influences in the design..... The guy must have been eating a Cornetto at the time and thought "How good would this Cornetto look on the Benelli?..." :rolling:

Only JOKING :clap:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I know what i'll do...

Ill take off the perfectly tuned Arrow exhaust, which probably went through various development stages and replace it with the 3 welded bean cans that resemble an ice cream cone :doh: IMO

Actually I can see the Italian influences in the design..... The guy must have been eating a Cornetto at the time and thought "How good would this Cornetto look on the Benelli?..." :rolling:

Only JOKING :clap:
:rolling: nice one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have the exhaust come out underneath the seat like Agusta & the Triumph Daytona. I think the exhaust muffler is the one thing that keeps it from being a Classic. I would make the two rear fans, four smaller fans and have them come out, two on each side, right below the seat. I would also offer more colors and for a price perhaps a paint to sample option.

Steve

·
5,929 Posts
I would have the exhaust come out underneath the seat like Agusta & the Triumph Daytona. I think the exhaust muffler is the one thing that keeps it from being a Classic. I would make the two rear fans, four smaller fans and have them come out, two on each side, right below the seat. I would also offer more colors and for a price perhaps a paint to sample option.
Steve
Can't be done Steve, it's either the radiator/fans, or the muffler, under the seat. Not both.

If the muffler goes there, the radiator moves in front of the engine, the engine back 50mm or so, & the weight bias with it.
You'd also get a hot arse, just like you do with the MV, & all the rest. Fine for the track, ratshit on the street.
Oh yeah, you'd end up with something like all the rest of the sports bikes out there.

I do agree with you though. A new Tornado needs a more modern muffler. Something a little more discrete.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts