Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new here and have a few questions
1 i was wondering what the 900 tornado is like to live with, is it something that can stand being used daily/regularly i have an mv agusta f4 and i have used that less this year due to putting the miles on her and i want to keep that as my special bike and buy something else to run to work on and go see the misses on, so has anyone here got experiance of both bikes ?
2 what problems do the bikes suffer from and what mods for these things can be done.
3 looking around the 2.5 to 3.5 k mark so would i be better off with a low mileage early bike or a higher mileage later bike etc ie are later bikes better or the same
Any help would be appreciated and hope to soon have aq nelli in my garage soon

·
Registered
256 Posts
Special

is all i can say. My 900 is just over 5k miles, and no troubles but mainly I just love to get an excuse to go the garage to give her a peek. people will have various issues no doubt, but when you sneek a peek at that loverly rump as the door opens, and then take in the broadside view there it is a true classic. I saw a matchless in the carpark at work today, and it was in great nick and obviously fettled, but still a draw with people gathering at lunchtime....here you have the benelli too...so unique in a world of same old.

btw just rode to somerset and back from kent, and never missed a beat ......and i swear i heard every one cos she is LOUD:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Welcome!
They are pretty usable, but be aware of and prepared to live with the awful steering lock and non existent neutral (while engine is running at standstill anyway!). I had a standard Tre and now own an LE so these things didnt put me off and most owners I know love their bikes :D. 3.5k will buy you a very tidy lowish miles Tre in todays bottom dollar market, especially if you dont mind about colour (green and silver goes for a premium). ALL Tornados (apart from the RS) were made between 2003 and 2004 I believe (possibly a few stragglers in 05) so a later registration plate is not necessarily worth paying for. Beware of mileage though as many have had replacement clocks. Make sure it has all the mods done (with proof from the dealer) and you will be fine. Best place to look for info on mods (and loads besides) is Engenias website here, but main ones to be double sure about are the clutch basket and Z25 alternator gear / shaft as these can be expensive to do and even more expensive if the Z25 fails and lunches your engine ;)
There are a couple of people on here who own / have owned the MV and Tornado. JohnyRottin is one of them, but he never rides them so he can only tell you which is nicest to polish rofl!
Good hunting!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
being different and special is what draws me to it ?
What are the mods you talk about? are clocks a major issue and yeah the only thing the bike must be is green and silver its just the colour it should be with those yellow fans just does it for me?
Wish could afford an LE is the one i want but the tre is good for me at the moment and the point is that i have a cool bike i can use and not be overly precious about thats for my other baby this is my work toy. Cant imagin steering lock being any worse than the MV what about riding position whats that like?
Thanks Nick
replied before your edit appered thanks bud

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
being different and special is what draws me to it ?
What are the mods you talk about? are clocks a major issue and yeah the only thing the bike must be is green and silver its just the colour it should be with those yellow fans just does it for me?
Wish could afford an LE is the one i want but the tre is good for me at the moment and the point is that i have a cool bike i can use and not be overly precious about thats for my other baby this is my work toy. Cant imagin steering lock being any worse than the MV what about riding position whats that like?
Thanks Nick
Quick reply I added some details re the mods to my original post but you beat me to it! Clocks are not a major issue - early ones had issues with temp gauge going mad. Check if they are rev D clocks when you look at a bike - the later clocks change mode with a long press on the mode button rather than a single press. If they are rev D and the bike is an early registered one I would be wary of the mileage.
Riding position is "different" I would say. You feel further forward than normal I think, but I am 6'1 and have done full days in the saddle with no major probs. Ask Big Al - he rode 750 miles in a day on Sat to attend a benelli forum meet in the peaks from Scotland!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks for that link will spend some time looking at it looks like a good site with all info needed. forums are the key to buying something like this the people that ride and live with these bikes are the people to ask no good reading articals on the bike that someone has riden for a few hours or a day at most, thanks for the advise

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Don't worry about clocks....i have 4 spare sets at the house!
I would guess you have more stock at home than Benelli JR ! :rolleyes:

:rolling:

As regards a Tornado ! If you're passionate enough to own an MV then a Tornado will drop in nicely and you'll forget about the MV and caress the Tornado and talk to it like Gollum.............. "my precious !" ;)

Go for it buddy :clap:

:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
885 Posts
I tried the f4 on a test day and found it very cramped, high pegs etc I dont think I could have done more than an hour or two on it, the bike was a peach though but much prefer my tre anyday, :ele:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks rob yeah i will imagin it could come to the point where i will buy another bike because in care to much about both lol, the mv is my dream bike and i love it to bits and the only other bike that really floats my boat is the nelli, i know i should buy jap as an everyday bike but i really think its just not me and have to ride something i want to be on, for me its not about the bike doing everything the best its havin a passion for what you ride and being different and the nelli is just that.

So the answer to my question about riding position is answered its better than the f4 (but then everything is lol) thanks for your input guys keep it coming tho.

Will probably be askin more questions but think the key is to find on and test ride it (oh and carry on savin)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Welcome , One of the best things and you are certainly at an advantage is to buy a Tornado thats been owned by one of the forum members as you can almost guarantee it'll be a sorted one for clutch,clocks etc and passion by the bucket loads - take one of our newest members adamo for example as he picked up a bargain of ex Robsfm Tornado for so little and it had been in for Clutch mod and had been lavished care and attention more than any jap bike could ever get . Good Luck with your search .

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah looked at robs bike on the bay and was what made me think that a bike like that was a good deal as you say its been loved and is such a good deal unfortuniatly my money isn't quite there yet and tryin to find out a bit about the bike first but robs bike did look good and great value am keeping my eye out for bikes all the time waiting for the one for me

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
saw the photos looked good and is very funny,had the mv two years and not got my knee down let alone two weeks. some people make ya sick lol na good on him

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Did Four Hours On The Nelli ( Only Stopping For Fuel )

Found It Suprisingly Bearable .

Can,t Wait For The Next Jaunt

Only Wish I could Have An MV In The Garage Along With Ny Others

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Go for it!!

Hi Chap.

I'm a newby...I just sold my Vrod for a Tornado!!:confused:
Go for it mate, two test rides on a demo and I was hooked. :doh:
It anit the fastest thing out there, but god it sounded fantastic at ANY speed, and well worth the lolly.
I bort a new base model.:eek:
I found it much more comfortable than a 999 Duke;)
Before you lot tell me I'm slagging your Dukes...you must be an Italian umperlumper to ride them things :rolling: :rolling:

·
I want a TreK. And a TnT.
1,215 Posts
i live in hertfordshire mate.
Hey Delta - I'm in Bovingdon, near Hemel, if you want to meet up and check out a nice standard Tre in Green & Silver. With a very noisey MotoGP-style exhaust :D :D :D

cheers,
Dom

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
have done 3 hours on th mv and that was hard work, its not that often i do big rides and i only work 15 mins from home (on a bike that is) and 1.5 hours to see the misses so not really that bad but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a real pain in the arse pardon the pun

Yeah i started with the mv then let the rest join it lol, Not a bad first big bike
had a cagiva mito to learn the gears etc passed test then got the mv

Yeah would defo be up for coming over and havin a look around her mate sounds good pm me and we will sort something out ? be nice to have a chat and look round one properly.

I think you will find i am short in the leg and full in the body (well belly anyway) yes short and fat but do fit the mv

1 - 20 of 43 Posts