Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after being contacted by members of this forum regarding chain play causing wear on the swingarm i thought i'd better gauge reaction on this matter as it seems to be prevalent amongst Tornado Tre's.

I know that the RS and 1130 Tornado have a plastic guard fitted to ensure no damage can occur but i thought i'd see how many have suffered the "I'll eat your Aluminium All Up" look. My Tre had this happen and it was noticed both Stephen(DBMG) and Ian's(Benny) had suffered this fate. I suppose early detection and also chain tension mangement is essential but i know it can happen so easily as they found out to their horror. replacement chains seem to cure it and shame owners seem to do development of items without being at the Manufacturers expense.

To All new Tornado tre Owners KEEP AN EYE ON THIS AREA . Note it may be possible to retro fit the plastic guard but drilling is needed.

It must be a two fold thing that my chain on my RS looks substantial plus has the plastic guard fitted and doesnt have this problem:)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just noticed the LE has the plastic guard as well... wonder why they chose to leave off the tre only! Must have saved 2 quid at the most!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It shows by the fact that they were fitted to the RS and the LE, that Benelli realised this is a potential problem area.

As Angus says, correct chain tension is vital, and FREQUENT checks necessary. Both Stephen and I had very carefully adjusted and lubed the chains before the trip, yet mine was sufficiently out of adjustment to cause the chain to come into contact with both the swingarm and the frame, as well as the tyre, after 3-400 miles, and Stephen's about the same.

No chain should stretch that much in that short mileage, and my chain had only done 3500 miles from new.

I noticed that BBA had a better quality chain fitted to his bike from new; didn't even wait to get some wear out of the standard one. Wise man.:bow:

The problem I suspect one would run into with retro fitting the plastic guards, is that quite possibly the swingarm may have to be removed, in order to be able to drill and tap both the swingarm and the frame in the correct place. Not a 5 minute job, but probably worth it.

Sonofabitch...;)

Cheers

Ian

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I noticed that BBA had a better quality chain fitted to his bike from new; didn't even wait to get some wear out of the standard one. Wise man.:bow:
Yup, that was the first thing I asked the dealer to do Ian before I even got the bike delivered to me. The chain on the standard Tre (don't know about the other models) is sh*te. I wouldn't fit it to my push bike. Got myself one that's guaranteed not to stretch for the first 1000km.

Al;)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yup, that was the first thing I asked the dealer to do Ian before I even got the bike delivered to me. The chain on the standard Tre (don't know about the other models) is sh*te. I wouldn't fit it to my push bike. Got myself one that's guaranteed not to stretch for the first 1000km.

Al;)
Which one did you buy, Al? I think it needs to go on my shopping list:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ian

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Which one did you buy, Al? I think it needs to go on my shopping list:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ian
I went for an EK ZST (Zero Stretch Technology) brand chain Ian. My dealer had mine in stock but I can't remember how much I paid for it. A google search might bring one up for you buddy;)

Al:D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Are u supposed to change sprockets at the same time as the chain if u don't do from new? Tempted to change mine as well.. Group buy anyone?? ;)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Are u supposed to change sprockets at the same time as the chain if u don't do from new? Tempted to change mine as well.. Group buy anyone?? ;)
It really depends Col. They recommend changing the sprockets too but if they're still in good nick then I wouldn't bother and just save your cash for the 2010 Highland gathering:D

Al;)

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
My standard tre has the plastic chain guard,i know this cos i spent a happy half hour picking all the gungy old chain lube off it the other day:clap:

Know what you're saying about the standard chain,i would imagine mines still on the standard one(6000 miles) and you can just tell its $hite quality:(
another task for the winter lay off;)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems as most are saying that there is a guard area on Tre's but i think the area that is getting the chain catch is at a further point back from the plastic guide ,i will check through an old pic of my previous Tre to see if this was the case. the plastic guide i mean is vertically mounted to the swingarm and is screwed one. i'll do a pic .

·
1,841 Posts
Reading the manuals it states the tre and the rs have the same chain ? a daido 50zvm. The chain on my rs has required about 1mm of wheel movement in 8000 miles so it must be a good one. I suppose Benelli decided to save a few bob and fit rubbish ones to the tre.:(

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It shows by the fact that they were fitted to the RS and the LE, that Benelli realised this is a potential problem area.

As Angus says, correct chain tension is vital, and FREQUENT checks necessary. Both Stephen and I had very carefully adjusted and lubed the chains before the trip, yet mine was sufficiently out of adjustment to cause the chain to come into contact with both the swingarm and the frame, as well as the tyre, after 3-400 miles, and Stephen's about the same.

No chain should stretch that much in that short mileage, and my chain had only done 3500 miles from new.

The problem I suspect one would run into with retro fitting the plastic guards, is that quite possibly the swingarm may have to be removed, in order to be able to drill and tap both the swingarm and the frame in the correct place. Not a 5 minute job, but probably worth it.

Sonofabitch...;)

Cheers

Ian
Ditto on that Ian.. Must say that I'm gutted that my swingarm has been marked.. I can't think of anything to say that does not include a LOT of swearing other than to repeat, my chain was correctly adjusted and lubricated before setting off on the Scottish trip and somewhere between 300 - 400 miles later the stretch and sideways movement of the chain was shocking.. Again a BIG thanks to Simon (forby) for adjusting the chain for me which got me home. Did put a spoiler on the trip for me..

To sum up guys, replace the NASTY original chain NOW and I just thank God that the chain did not jump off the sprocket and send me down the road.. I personally think this is a SAFETY issue and would like the damage caused repaired. As you can tell I'm really pi$$ed off about this..

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
As they say in the Star Trek movies......"It's a guard Jim, but not as we know it"

The bit that Angus is talking about is not the bit that the chain runs on. It's an additional piece of plastic that covers this bit which is where the chain marks the swing arm if it runs too loose.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Cheers for that Laurie, I'll need to have a look at mine when I get it back on Monday to see if it has anything there. Something tell me it hasn't:confused:

Al:)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks Laurence i did say VERTICAL PART of the Swingarm that is being affected as it would be bloody bad luck to wear through the plastic guard as per shown in your pic lower part. Yep thats the bit as shown and on RS and 1130's they are protected in the wear area by another secondary guard (pic as shown with my RS having one as standard) .

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Sorry,not paying attention,:doh: :doh:

to confirm my tre DOESN'T have a plastic guard where the circled area is:rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Rather annoyingly mine has got wear there....although the chain was nowhere near loose i.e. 30mm slack, it has a lot of lateral movement...drat and double drat:mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts