Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm wondering if an 1030 rods and block upwards fits into a 900 crankcase and bottom end....
No.
Not as simple as that, crank (longer throw), rods (shorter), barrels different (pistons need to be matched to the block),lower cases need machining , head , cams.
Where do you think you will find these parts, it might take you the rest of your life to find good used serviceable parts.
Best look for an 1130 motor complete and sell your 900.Externally the engines are the same but internals are vastly different.
What bike are you considering modifying, member Gbo converted his Tre K if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The 899 and 1130 motors are a straight swap with minor differences to the oil filter mount and cooling fittings which are just bolt on bits.

·
Registered
36 Posts
...the one thing I'd be careful with on an engine that comes from a bike that's been taken apart is WHY was that bike scrapped. On the 900's, the factory supplied them with the tip over switch disconnected / disabled. A few years ago I remember doing a poll on the forum and IIRC only about a third of respondents did the mod to enable it. For the other 2/3, if their bike went down, the engine would continue to run whilst the bike was on its side, until someone actually pressed the kill switch. Not good for that engine. A bike that had fallen over with the engine running at standstill could end up with an engine damaged beyond repair (it would look good from the outside, though)

Again, that was the case with the 900's, no idea about the 1030's, but I very much doubt Benelli did anything about that issue (due diligence, more things for you to find out about :)

Have a look here Tip over switch

·
Registered
744 Posts
With most things it comes down to trust or warranty. People being what they are. naturally ignore things which counter their views, and naturally cling to things which heighten them. So sometimes a fault may be subconsciously erased from memory. It’s always better to do a deal face to face as you get other clues about the person you are dealing with. Although I did hear a report once saying it was easier to lie on tv rather than radio, because you can fake the visual clues more easily. I got my engine from eBay and the only issue I had with it was a cracked clutch casing but I had a spare so no problem. €2500 euros seems a bit expensive though.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Would agree, complete 1130 TNT engine in Germany for 850€ Benelli TNT 1130 Motor kpl.
I wish that had been for sale before I rebuilt mine, it cost more than that to put mine back together. I got most of my bits from Germany as well. But that engine is only just up the road from where my boy lives, He has to get home soon to pick up all the bike bits, I have got for him and he could have brought it with him.
Since Brexit , it has become a nightmare getting all the paperwork in the right order to get parts into Germany, everything seems to end up in Frankfurt.We have already lost a Translogic quick shifter and trying to get UPS to refund us .

·
Registered
86 Posts
...the one thing I'd be careful with on an engine that comes from a bike that's been taken apart is WHY was that bike scrapped. On the 900's, the factory supplied them with the tip over switch disconnected / disabled. A few years ago I remember doing a poll on the forum and IIRC only about a third of respondents did the mod to enable it. For the other 2/3, if their bike went down, the engine would continue to run whilst the bike was on its side, until someone actually pressed the kill switch. Not good for that engine. A bike that had fallen over with the engine running at standstill could end up with an engine damaged beyond repair (it would look good from the outside, though)

Again, that was the case with the 900's, no idea about the 1030's, but I very much doubt Benelli did anything about that issue (due diligence, more things for you to find out about :)

Hi Lucian just googled the dtm04-3p and its a triangular plug which looks nothing like the one in your piccy ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Lucian just googled the dtm04-3p and its a triangular plug which looks nothing like the one in your piccy ???
Found one that looks like yours £4.50 on fleabay

·
Registered
86 Posts
Found one that looks like yours £4.50 on fleabay
Lucian

My little plug arrived today with the 3 pins and a plastic orange spade thing ..its easy enough to wire in 2 and 3 but what is the little spade shaped thing its got a blade like a spade and a little handle

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lucian

My little plug arrived today with the 3 pins and a plastic orange spade thing ..its easy enough to wire in 2 and 3 but what is the little spade shaped thing its got a blade like a spade and a little handle
Its a wedgelock used to prevent accidental disconnection of the plug.. gawd knows how it fits though ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it is an early Tonado Tre, it was a very expensive bike back then. How many miles on it ? what sort of history.
Does it run alright at the moment , if its a good runner , you will have a lot of fun with it , as is.
It's only got 1187 Kms on it. It started and purred like a kitten. has been pretty well looked after and started and run periodically by the owner who is a serious Benelli enthusiast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was actually thinking the same. That engine is being parted out of a crash wreck. I am gonna do the mod before I put this one to use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 899 and 1130 motors are a straight swap with minor differences to the oil filter mount and cooling fittings which are just bolt on bits.
I take it the 899 is pretty much the same motor with some issues sorted out?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pretty much yes. The 899 revs a lot more freely and I think is a sweeter engine. Still sounds like a bag of spanner’s though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts