Benelli Forum banner

281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Put a new rear tyre on the Tre-K today. Waiting for a 36 tooth sprocket (in lieu of the original 34T) to arrive in the mail before I put the wheel back on. Hoping there's enough length in the chain to accommodate it. Looks like there probably will be as it will only move the rear wheel forward by half a chain pitch (about 8mm). Getting the chain on over the tips of the sprocket teeth may be a different story though. Might have to do it before putting the axle in. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drifted down to the coast and parked up at the Temple of Merchandise, opened a bottle of water and it fizzed and drenched my trousers.
Unwilling to enter the supermarket exhibiting all the signs of lavish incontinence I went for a little walk in the sun.
Thence back to the Halls of Babylon which are the only known source of my cat´s preferred cuisine, it is the size of an aircraft hangar that would hold a couple of Vulcans or half a dozen Lightnings, and staying close behind the cover of my trolley I provided for Diva´s immediate future, plus the gnarly old stray tomcat which hisses quite convincingly when offered food. He came with the house, and regards me as if I came in with a recent tide.
Motril, the gritty city, is great if you like cities -- I was soon heading for the mountains above Lanjarón with a nice bit of Wensleydale.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You know when you should just leave stuff alone😩 stripped my Andreani cartridges just to see what’s inside them really. Well bad idea one of the piston seals is broken. Now where can I get one of those? Brookes suspension aren’t interested.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What does the piston seal look like, an O-ring or a hard plastic piston ring? If the latter it wouldn't be hard or very expensive to get something made, or you might find a part from a more common fork could be made to fit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What does the piston seal look like.
its a hard plastic ring possibly glass filled nylon! black or very dark grey, split but with a stepped joint.
20mm od 5mm wide 1mm thick. Can’t find anyone making strip that size but will keep looking.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Anything like this?. Finding a UK supplier is another matter.
I did see that one but getting it on the piston would mean stretching it over the lip. or split it I suppose.
used to use similar seals on hydraulics back in the day and they weren’t very flexible.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You know when you should just leave stuff alone😩 stripped my Andreani cartridges just to see what’s inside them really. Well bad idea one of the piston seals is broken. Now where can I get one of those? Brookes suspension aren’t interested.

Moral of the story "dont fix it if it aint broke"

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Oh dear.... Hope it's was broken before you striped it to see inside , or you'll be kicking yourself till Christmas

·
Registered
160 Posts
Making Pannier Frames

Working on frames to carry some boxes since Givi and Kappa frames are no longer available for TreK. Confident these will do the job but cannot live with that ugly Mk 1 rear bracing. Mk 2 development tomorrow perhaps.
Pannier frames.jpg

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those frames look pretty good ! .
The std bracing only stretches across the frames in an arc to avoid the wheel I guess .
A man of your welding skills could replicate that I'm sure .

All round a Top job ! .
Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
The std bracing only stretches across the frames in an arc to avoid the wheel I guess .
A man of your welding skills could replicate that I'm sure .
Rick
Yep Rick, I've seen the factory bracings and will do something similar. I cut a cardboard template to check tyre clearance. I want to brace to the top corner also to eliminate the flex that can cause cracking of factory frames on our corrugated dirt roads. I'm ashamed of my welding. The tube is only 1.2mm wall thickness and I am using flux cored wire, welding intermittently to avoid holes, then grinding-off the rough finish. I hope it will stay together. If not I will do it all again with 1.6mm wall tube. That is easier for we amateur welders to stick together but harder to procure. I have a TIG welder in the shed that could potentially do a better job but I have not used that method for 40-odd years and forgot what little I knew. Cheers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You ozzies are just too good, centre stands, pannier frames whatever next? Your welding can’t be any worse than mine Rolf

281 - 300 of 327 Posts