Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ( Mainly to Errol / Rusty )

Now starting to be a wee bit worried by all the hype re this 'bloody' clutch basket etc ! :mad:

UKSteve adds : " clutch basket and intermediate gear mod, alternator shaft and locknut mod, clutch actuator rod mod, airbox drain mod, Updated clocks mod, lower fairing panels paint mod, prob missed something, but apart from that the bike is bullet proof "

My bike is an 06 model, purchased privately when 10 mnths old with 800 miles on the clock. Bike has now done just under 4000. I phoned when the bike was new to me Taz where the bike was purchased & was told the bike has had all mods carried out .... easy to say, eh!
Then had various work carried out by Streffords in Worcester & also told they thought all mods carried out as it is an 06 model !!!

For obvious reason's, with all the hype on here re the basket I am worried these haven't been carried out & may fail in the near future. :(

Unfortunately I am not mechanically minded enough to start stripping bits apart to check if work has been carried out.:doh:

Reason for this thread is what problem will I start to experience once it / if it goes tits up & what actually happens to the engine / gear box should the clutch basket and intermediate gear mod, alternator shaft and locknut mod, clutch actuator rod mod etc fail !!! Is it terminal & very expensive once it fails !:confused:

At the end of the season / spring 09 I will be taking my bike to Rusty to check all the above but at the moment the problem rides with me once out on the open road worrying something major might go wrong with the Nelli and this is really spoiling my enjoyment of the bike !

Appreciate some explanation of what could go wrong as lot's on the site explains what to look for inside the clutch housing etc but nothing on what problems it all causes !:rolleyes:

Thanks all .... look forward to getting your thoughts ...:rolling:

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Maybe get to Rusty's as soon as - book in and I am sure he would fit you in on a saturday to get it all checked / looked at. :bow:

A couple of hours ride in the saddle must be worth the reassurance factor surley??

·
5,934 Posts
Hi Mark,
Now starting to be a wee bit worried by all the hype re this 'bloody' clutch basket etc ! :mad:
Good. You should be! At least you're aware of the problem. Many are blissfully unaware.:mad:
Appreciate some explanation of what could go wrong as lot's on the site explains what to look for inside the clutch housing etc but nothing on what problems it all causes !:rolleyes:
Mark
Clutch basket & intermediate gear - goes bang. There's no warning. Makes a mess, but may not be terminal.

Alternator shaft/Z25 gear and lockwasher - actually 2 issues. 1st is the lock washer. If the bolt comes loose, the Z25 gear will float across and damage the intermediate gear because it'll not be meshing properly. You do get a warning - it gets noisier - someone suggested the sound of a VFR800. If the noises change, something is wrong, so stop. 2nd is the shaft itself. On RS900's & 1130's it is known to break. No warning. Makes a mess of the clutch basket

clutch actuator - no big deal. The new one is pressed steel, the original was cast aluminium. It is longer, to give more clutch throw, to make it easier to find neutral.

airbox drain - drops water onto #2 coil. Eventually the coil will fail. The original coil will fail anyway, 'cos it's a crap design. Here's how to fix it

Updated clocks - the Rev A has a temp gauge that can't be trusted, and is highly prone to resetting the clock and trip meter. The latest has cured the gauge problem (which can be really scary), and reduced the resetting, but not cured it.

lower fairing panels paint - the panels weren't prepared properly before painting, so the paint falls off. Worse on green panels than red ones.

I've documented some of this on my website under Buying Tips, but I need to update it.

That's about it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Chaps .... to be honest haven't noticed any of the things ( noises ) you mentioned Errol. Think I will take your advice Kurt & see if Russ works Saturday mornings .... not sure if the bike would need to be 'cold' overnight for him to check out all the above. Wee bit busy over the next few weeks but will make contact then let you lot know if he does find any problems !!!!!

Thanks again, especially you Errol for your helpful & in depth explanation of the problems ... your very nearly becoming a 'Rusty-God' in your own right ! LOL !:rolling:

Mark ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mark, didnt want to panic you, but its better to know than not to I think especially as it could let go anytime and cause damage to you and your bike. If there were tell tale signs before it goes I wouldnt have been so worried but there doesnt seem to be so I was anxious to know whether mine were done or not. Had my clutch out again last night and measured it properly and the intermediate gear is the upgraded 8mm one I dont know about the alternator mods though. Im tempted to say Ill have it out for you when we come up to Hereford which will be in two to three weeks but dont think Id like a stranger putting his fingers in my nellis box either. :D

Didnt want to start a panic but Id much rather read a thread that says 'How straightforward to take the clutch out' than 'My clutch has gone bang and the engine seized, how much will it cost?' :doh:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When mine was in for service - Russ checked it and it showed no signs whatsover of wearing - but he changed it as a precaution anyway :D

Peace of mind - money cant buy it really :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts