Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks.

A wee while back I ordered myself a set of full carbon fibre wheels for the Tre (should be here on the 8th June:D ) and I need to specify what size of rear sprocket that I would like one week before delivery so that they can get it machined for me. And so the dilema begins:) I don't think that I'll ever get the bike up to it's full speed on the roads here in the UK so I thought that quicker acceleration would be the way to go. Any ideas on sprocket sizes to give me better acceleration:\ I'm not sure what combination would work best so any help would be much appreciated lads:b

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originals are 16/41, (525) but JohnnyO recommends 15/43, and that's what I'm about to put on mine. Top speed should drop to 235kph. Academic really. I'll never see it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Errol. I could have sworn that the rear was already a 43 (better get out there and get counting;) ) and I had a feeling that all that was needed was to drop the front by one:D I'm hoping that this will help my get the bike up on it's back wheel (only ever done wheelies before by accident:rolleyes ).

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'll be changing the gearing too once I get back from the Isle of Man. I've had the poor girl pinned quite hard a few times and have found that it struggles to pull 6th at real high speeds unless your really really tucked in. Let me know what you think of the change on acceleration, fuel etc and also Big Al if/when you buy when can you give me the number

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know what you think of the change on acceleration, fuel etc and also Big Al if/when you buy when can you give me the number
No problemo Dean;) The bike got picked up today so I think I'll be asking KJM if they can change the front sprocket to a 15 but I'll have to check to see wether the rear was in fact a 41 or a 43 before I ask them to make any changes there. I'll be going down on the Saturday (hopefully) to pick the bike up so I'll let you know then buddy;)

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
size matters

I don't know why I did not think of this sooner but I checked the kit that comes with the LE and found it has a 39 tooth and a 42 tooth in the bow. It wears a 41 tooth out of the factory. The front sprocket is a 16. Hope that helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renthal Sprockets

I thought I was going to have to give up on my sprocket hoo hah as I found out that the cost for a 15 tooth front sprocket (genuine Benelli part) was an amazing £124(ish):eek :eek
The thought of spending that amount on a front sprocket didn't appeal to me at all so I tried a few other places instead. I've just come off of the phone to the very nice man at B&C Express (the UK distributers for Renthal) who quoted me £27.40 for the front and £33.50 for the rear (as it comes off the lathe) and for an additional £7.05 you can have it finished to a super smooth finish and anodised to a nice bronzie colour:D
When I told him how much the front sprocket was for the Tornado I thought he was going to have a heart attack:lol
He told me that they don't have front sprockets made for the Tornado on the shelf, they machine it from one which would fit a 999 instead.

Looks like I'll be getting the old credit card out very soon then:lol

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Renthal Sprockets

Al,

I've just had a similar experience. The $90 sprocket I ordered became a $170 purchase. JohnnyO is looking into it for me, but I fear that Benelli may be opening up the floodgates to the aftermarket business by charging outrageous amounts for spares - one way to compensate for lowering the original purchase price of the bikes!

I've had a look into alternatives - 14,15,16 tooth 525:-

Ducati use a similar front sprocket on many models, including

944 Sport Tourismo ST2, 916 Strada Biposto, 916 SPS Sport Production, 992 ST3, 996, 998 999 .....

Ducati Part Number 449-102-71A

JT Sprockets Part Number JTF740-15

The boss is offset, and needs to be machined down by 7mm to fit, but otherwise it is a much cheaper alternative.

The rear sprockets can be purchased from
The Chain Gang in Queensland. They ship internationally, and heat treat the teeth as well.

Heat treating the teeth will extend the life by heaps.

Chain Gang recommend changing the front sprocket half way through the life of the chain & rear.

If you want to go to a 520 chain (for racing), there is an alternative there as well. Needs machining both sides though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Renthal Sprockets

BUGGER>: Just went to order the front sprocket yesterday and found out that it can only be done if I'm running a 520 instead of the 525 I'm running now:(
Thanks to the main man Errol, I've sent of the details that was listed in the post above this to JT Sprockets to see what they can do for me. I'm really not into paying £124 for a genuine Benelli part. Here's hoping huh?

Al;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts