Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride saturday, when it was pretty warm, but not height of summer hot. Got back home after riding through town, not sitting in traffic but a bit stop start. Temp guage was showing the needle just into the red. Fans were on, no steam or anything. Is this normal for the tornado?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Don't worry Borat, that's perfectly normal considering the type of riding you were doing and that it was a reasonably hot day. :)

The fans should have kicked in around 93/95 to help keep some air flowing through the radiator but in fairness you won't see much of a drop in temperature until you are traveling a bit faster.

As a precaution though, just make sure that you don't have any air trapped in the system by following the guide on Engenia's site:-

http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald/Notes/Cooling/CoolantTemp.html

·
340 Posts
I do not think that is normal. Temperature is up to 100C and brought back by the fans even on hot days and traffic jams with the clutch most of the time engaged due to the neutral problem when so hot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My bike also got into the red zone quite some times when riding in town on a hot day, but thats something which more bikes suffer from. As long as you do not get to 120°, dont worry about it.

At least when giving it full load and riding fast it stays cool, unlike bikes like a cbr600rr that develop an enormous amount of heat when used on the track.

·
Registered
113 Posts
temp

Hi Borat if your tornado is running the original 03 spec clocks the temp gauge will run into the red even though the engine is not overheating. There is an issue with these early clocks. The clocks have a white sticker on the back, If it says 04 recovery plan (instead of just 03) they are the latest spec and will read accurate temp
Hope this helps :)

·
5,891 Posts
If the engine overheats, the red light in the tacho will come on, & the LCD will show 'temp' (or something to the same effect). The ECU is controlling this, so it is reliable, unlike the temp gauge.

Water won't boil until about 120C when under normal radiator capped pressures, and while it's liquid (ie. still in the system), it's extracting heat. So operating in the lower red is a concern, but not a disaster.

The original dash's (rev A) are notoriously erratic.
You can tell which dash revision you have, by the way the mode switch behaves. Rev A will change mode while the switch is depressed. Later revisions (certainly rev D) only change once it is released.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original dash's (rev A) are notoriously erratic.
You can tell which dash revision you have, by the way the mode switch behaves. Rev A will change mode while the switch is depressed. Later revisions (certainly rev D) only change once it is released.
I know I do have the original rev A dash as I asked Russ to check before I picked up the bike. He confirmed it but said that as this one hadnt had any problems reported with it, he couldnt make a warranty claim. I guess I will have to monitor it and give him a bell if it looks like thats the problem. The way he explained the problem with the dash, I'm not sure thats it - he said if the dash was faulty, temp guage would shoot right up and the light would come on, which isnt what happened on mine. It was a gradual rise on mine which leads me to believe it was actually reporting correctly.

Cheers for the advice all.

Col

·
Registered
244 Posts
Temp guage

Borat,

I was out on Saturday too (UK based, South coast). My temp guage was sitting just touching the red for most of the ride. Early bike with no instrument mods - so looks like it was reading just the same as yours.

So either you don't need to worry or we both need to panic.

You takes your money and makes your choice...

·
5,891 Posts
I .. have the original rev A dash ... The way he explained the problem ... if the dash was faulty, temp guage would shoot right up and the light would come on, which isnt what happened on mine. It was a gradual rise on mine which leads me to believe it was actually reporting correctly.
Not quite, Col. The light doesn't come on when the gauge screws up. The only way to accurately monitor the temp, is with the Axione or TuneBoy. That will show that the gauge is up shit creek, and needs to be replaced.

I'm surprised you're not getting regular clock & trip meter resets, 'cos the Rev A is a shocker for this.

If you're still under warranty, get it changed. It's a crook design.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not quite, Col. The light doesn't come on when the gauge screws up. The only way to accurately monitor the temp, is with the Axione or TuneBoy. That will show that the gauge is up shit creek, and needs to be replaced.

I'm surprised you're not getting regular clock & trip meter resets, 'cos the Rev A is a shocker for this.

If you're still under warranty, get it changed. It's a crook design.
Hi I am getting regular resets, but I was expecting this. When I spoke to Russ, he said that changing the clocks wont fix this anyway. I am a fair way from the dealership but when I have to take it for any other work / service etc I think I will see if he can put in a claim.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
You guys are amazin! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: This is what makes this site sooo good! I thought I was the only one with a demonic tornado, Quite often had my temp gauge dancing at me and the trip reset itself when it felt like it needed too without any help from me. I have an 04 registered 53 plate bike, i'm now assuming that i have the rev a clocks too, would this make sense to you guys? I'll be fair i'm pretty clever at polishing her, but not really gen'd up in the tricky mechanical side

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are amazin! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: This is what makes this site sooo good! I thought I was the only one with a demonic tornado, Quite often had my temp gauge dancing at me and the trip reset itself when it felt like it needed too without any help from me. I have an 04 registered 53 plate bike, i'm now assuming that i have the rev a clocks too, would this make sense to you guys? I'll be fair i'm pretty clever at polishing her, but not really gen'd up in the tricky mechanical side
Hey there wee man! From what I have been told, it doesnt matter what rev the clocks are you will be lucky if your trip meter never resets, but I am led to believe the rev A's were worse for it, and also had the temp guage probs. Rev D is the most up to date I believe, but from what I understand, Benelli have no new dashes left and are just reconditioning the returned ones, so who's to say what you would end up with if you had them swapped lol.

Cheers

Borat

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clocks

Gents,

Has anyone had experience with trying to fit a Translogic dash or STACK dash for that matter?

Thought it might be an elegant solution for all of the dash issues ..... (£425 for the Translogic, check it out)

Cheers

Duncan
(Temp and flashy lights issues aplenty)

·
5,891 Posts
A Rev A dash will reset just about every time you start the bike. It's reset voltage is at least 1 Volt higher than the Rev D. It's about 5V - can't remember exactly. This is why the Rev D is so much better.

My Rev D resets about once a month, and this only when the battery has been given a hard time.
My battery is the original crap one. I've tested it at 200CCA (much better than stated, but the test temp was higher). The best I've seen is 400CCA. This one would just about solve the reset problem - until the battery approached it's end of life.

Doubling up the battery leads helps as well, by reducing the voltage drop to the starter. More so with the 1130, 'cos the starter has to work even harder to turn it over.

I've written a fair bit about this subject on my website.

If the Rev A's are being refurbished by the factory, they'll be replacing the circuit board with a Rev D, 'cos there's nothing that can be done to a Rev A to improve it - I've tried. It's rubbish.

You're right Col, no temp gauge probs with the Rev D.

:ele: Guys - upgrade to Rev D. This problem will largely go away if there aren't any Tornados on the road with Rev A dash's anymore!:ele:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone is in any doubt of who the best dealer is for Benellis in the UK, hows this for service - Russ spotted this thread and sent me an email unprompted saying that he will put in a warranty claim for me and he may even be in the area to be able to fit the new clocks so I wont have to make the 220 mile round trip! Whatever doubts I had about buying a bike from a dealer that far away have now evaporated and I would say to anyone lurking for a Benelli, Russ is your man :bow: !

Col

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
it doesnt matter what rev the clocks are you will be lucky if your trip meter never resets, but I am led to believe the rev A's were worse for it, and also had the temp guage probs.
Borat
Re the clocks restting - I was in Wales earlier this year, after having my headlight on for ages without the engine running :doh: I went to fire the bike up and it barely had enough juice to start - but it did................... just ! and thats the only time in 4900 mls that the clocks have ever reset !!
So I guess its when most the voltage / ampage or whatever its called is used to fire the bike up - it loses memory on the clocks !

It goes to show that they arent all bad (but probably a good percentage eh? :rolling: )

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those that haven't done it yet.. Check out Enginia's website above.

Some very good info there...

Hey I'm a noob, so maybe everone knows already.

Thanks for making that available.

gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts