Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, question raised by one of my sons - what the differences between the various Benelli models; as in engine, compression ratio, camshafts, mapping and exhaust

Regards

Tuono

·
3,085 Posts
heres a try

LE, basically a normal tre but with a one off dry clutch unique to the LE, according to the Surflex catalogue, and a few magnesium covers.

Tre, well just that.

RS, tre but with oil cooler, different inlet trumpets, different cams, less lift but with more duration than a Tre.

All 900' Tornadoss run a Sagem ecu

1130cc Tornado, stroked 900 but with different heads, pistons, cams etc, runs a oil coller and has a dry slipper clutch. i have a email from the factory detailing whats different exactly but its on the work pc. I believe 1130 tornado dont have the airbox flaps and exhaust vavle like the tnts but i may be wrong, theres only one 1130 here in WA in a shop and i cant get a real good look at it. Walbro ecu

1130cc TnT, air box flaps, exhaust valve, and the top end is all slightly different from a 1130 tornado, ie cams pistons etc. According to Pierluigi Marconi, with the 06 onwards tnts using a lambda probe they can "autotune" so no ecu fettling requires when you put on a aftermarket can, his words noty mine, i have that from a interview he did with alan Cathcart!.:confused:

Some early 04 tnts ran a sagem ecu, but I believe all TnT's from end 05 onwards use a Walbro.

TnT and 1130 is a evolution of a 900 motor, with 06 onwards reportingly quieter when running than the 900's.

Tre-K, different cams to a TnT, may have different vavle sizes?

899cc tnT's ( 900 Tornado's are 899cc too ) is a futher evolution of a 1130 TnT motor, reputedly more refined and smother/quieter ( less nuts in a can!), essentially a de-stroked 1130cc motor running different cams and most likely trumpets than a 900 Tornado, I believe they dont run a exhaust valve or air box flaps, Tre-K 899 essentially the same i believe, may run different cams or cam timing to a 899cc TnT. TnT899T and TnT 899S motors the same, S has better running gear and some CF panels, T has better seat.

Theres slightly more info out there I'm sure :eek:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
My TnT899s has an exhaust valve and it also has a flap so im told , which is the noise I hear clapping now and again

The seat on the T the same as the tre-k but my missus hated the tre-k seat and prefers the S pillion seat which is the same as the 1130 and more sporty

Other than that thnx for the info, its good to see:clap:

·
Registered
574 Posts
1130 Tre

1130 TRE do have the flaps in the airbox and in the exhaust valve for "drive by" noise requlations although most 2nd hand bikes have all this removed.

·
1,841 Posts
RS, tre but with oil cooler, different inlet trumpets, different cams, less lift but with more duration than a Tre.
Correction,according to manuals the RS has less inlet duration but higher lift,9.8mm against 9.2mm and slightly offset exhaust timing with the same lift.
The RS also is higher compression at 11.8 to 1 against 11 to 1 (tre)
colin....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In light of current comments regarding the R160, how difficult would it be to fit a Tornado 1130 engine to a TNT - Sports, Cafe racer etc

Tuono

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
exhaust and air box

Nathan hypothetically speaking

exhaust- would depend on exhaust configuration, do you finish down low with a shorty can or exit out as per the TNT system

as for the air box would you have to use the TNT unit or would the Tornado box fit

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Thought the airbox shape was pretty much the same on the TNT's and Tornado's ?

·
3,085 Posts
airbox shape

Could be the same, the tank wildly different but maybe they do mould to the same airbox underneath?

i dont think exhaust style would matter much, it will still put out over 150, just needs a tune, i'd fit a pc111 and have it dynoed. ive seen a tnt with a side mounted exhaust on the web , it looked butt ugly.

hypothetically speaking, do you know where to score a 1130 tornado motor ;)

if i get a R160 I'm gonna make it into a CR. i asked Benelli if there was plans to put the tornado motor in the CR, gianluca said no :bawl:

gotta sell the RS first :(

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nathan

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie RS View Post

if i get a R160 I'm gonna make it into a CR.
Good plan, Nathan; a perfect 'Nellie!
is the R160 clutch a slipper as per the Tornado

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts