1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please.:bow:
got this gear and spline delivered with my new clutch basket from Benelli

does any one know what its for?
The gear wheel is about 3inch in diameter (7.5cm).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a recall part for our new recall list made by Errol
or part of the basket?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jurek
Jurek/Benelli Dave

I believe it may be the 'alterator shaft and drive gear.
Last year mine was replaced along with the clutch basket assembly by Rusty Russ as the ALTERNATOR SHAFT LOCKNUT and washer had come loose/adrift.
This resulted in the shaft 'floating' and making contact with the largest drive gear on the back of the CLUTCH HOUSING.
The symptom was a 'whirring' noise on the overrun, (not unlike the sound of a VFR).

Rusty Russ (Bennetts Motorcycles) will be able to confirm whether this is the part. It is essential the locknut is held in place securely by torquing the nut correctly and 'using 'loctite' or similar to ensure the security of the shaft.

The Australian boys may be able to add more to this subject, as it is my understanding that one of them (Tax?) required a new engine due to this failure.

Julian
03 Tornado No. 346
Will be 10000 miles the next time out of the garage!

·
Registered
28 Posts
CORRECTION : Looking through my service history documentation, the alternator shaft is held in place by a BOLT, not NUT as stated in my previous reply.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found it on Page 157 of the workshop manual
photos and reference to it. Thank you all :clap:

·
5,934 Posts
it may be the 'alterator shaft and drive gear.
Last year mine was replaced along with the clutch basket assembly by Rusty Russ as the ALTERNATOR SHAFT LOCKNUT and washer had come loose/adrift.
This resulted in the shaft 'floating' and making contact with the largest drive gear on the back of the CLUTCH HOUSING....
Rusty Russ (Bennetts Motorcycles) will be able to confirm whether this is the part. It is essential the locknut is held in place securely by torquing the nut correctly and 'using 'loctite' or similar to ensure the security of the shaft.

The Australian boys may be able to add more to this subject, as it is my understanding that one of them (Tax?) required a new engine due to this failure.
This shaft drives the alternator. I seem to remember that the starter drives through it as well - but I may be wrong here.
The only one's that have broken have been on 1130's.
Tax's last engine lunched it due to the cam chain breaking.
I think his first was damaged due to the alternator lock washer not being installed - the dealer had it, but didn't put it in! Same shaft I think.
Originally the shaft was secured with loctite, but this wasn't sufficient. A lockwasher was then used.

·
3,085 Posts
lockwasher

or locknut, errol, I just had the clutch cover off and should have had this checked by the mech, but I think its too late now, is this locknut/washer behind the clutch basket??, I'll have to get it checked next 5000 kays, anyone know if the RS's had the locknut instead of the loctite, Rusty??

I got my bike straight from the factory not a dealer (it was still in the crate from italy when it was delivered to my office)

·
5,934 Posts
As I understand it, ALL the RS's had all the mods done at the factory.

The lock washer is on the alternator side of the drive shaft, not the clutch side. Remove the alternator, and it's staring you in the face. If that nut loosens up, the drive gear on that shaft moves towards the clutch, stops meshing properly with its gear, and does some damage.

There's an exploded view of it on pg 38 of the WS manual. The alternator has a locknut holding the drive widget in place. The drive shaft has a bolt & lock washer holding it's widget in place. That's the one we're interested in. (I think! JohnnyO could clear this whole thing up!)

The starter motor drives the big cog (middle left on pg. 38) on that shaft, through a one way clutch (bottom right & middle left). That shaft has broken on 1130's but not on 900's because it takes a fair bit more torque to swing over the bigger motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts