Benelli Forum banner

Wheelz!

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Big Bad Al 
#1 ·
K.. trying to get my nelli on the road as a streetfighter till i get her fixed proper... so... what kind of wheel can i put on the front? what are teh specs for it does anyone know? i.e. the axel, hole pattern for disc.. whatever i need to know... also, what price would i be expecting for an origian 'nelli one?

Much thanks.
-Daniel

#3 ·
You can't help him, you promised me those wheels you are currently running and were going to refit the originals back on your machine.

Don't you remember.... you said, 'Seeing Lloyd won the £50 for his ditty, you would give me those special wheels for second place!'

You did, honest.... and you were sober!

Andy

#4 ·
Marchesini makes both forged magnesium and forged aluminum 10 spoke wheel sets for the Benelli(s). Available in various colors.....

I believe Marvic makes some as well, but Im not 100% sure....

A good wheel shop should be able to adapt just about any type of wheel you want.....do some research in your local area for help....

Id be looking in the magazines for examples of the wheel types you may want....if you want to get really wild, you will most likely be making spacers and getting new sleeves and/or bearings for the wheels, you may also need to custom fit rotors and/or calipers with one off brackets...

I have done a number of these types of custom wheel changes n various bikes of mine....

If you cant turn a wrench the either get bolt on stuff or have a custom shop do the work for you so you dont die the first time you go riding...:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

#9 ·
Used Front wheel (JohnnyO's old race wheel)

Once I found a reasonable shipping cost (£80) to ship to Oz, I put in a bid for the rear wheel on ebay UK. Bennet Motors outbid me, when my total cost reached AUD 600. I wasn't prepared to lose any more, just in case the UK gent decided to shaft me. (It's a bit difficult to sort that sort of thing out from ½ way round the world.)
The rear is more expensive than the front, but $850 is still a little high in my book, for something that, for me, is useful, but not essential.

#19 ·
Wrong my fellow Tornado owner;) My carbon wheels exceed the standards that are set in the UK for the strength that your rims have to be;)
They also exceed the German standards that are set higher than those in the UK:D

Al:D

#20 ·
Was my understanding too, that the carbon rims are very fragile. Yet, on a Triumph Rocket III forum BST carbon fiber rims are discussed that should carry 590 kg, support wheelies of the fat lady and be strong enough for any kind of roads.

If anyone has more knowledge and first hand experience, I would be very happy to hear since I am not 100% convinced.

#22 · (Edited)
Quoted from the dymag site itself ....

In order to achieve the ultimate wheel, material choice is also crucial. Magnesium has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal, and is only surpassed by Carbon Fibre. Hence all modern high performance wheels tend to use these materials. Dymag carbon wheels have achieved the tough German TUV standard for road use. This is a testament to the correct use of materials and design, enabling Dymag to make a race weight product, which conforms to British, Japanese and German roads standards.

Al:bow:

Surely the Japanese, the British and the Germans would not pass a wheel as safe and certify it as such knowing that the roads that we ride on everyday are not as smooth as the skin on my arse;)

Oh ... can I just add the following ...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How much stronger are Carbon Fibre Wheels than conventional wheels?
Carbon Fibre wheels are comfortably over-engineered for street/road use and have undergone an intensive programme of very stringent testing to verify their design and to confirm their strength and durability.

A designated test body in the UK performed the following tests and all tests were conducted on a single wheel. It is important to note that performing a ‘single wheel test’ is not usual when checking metal wheels, since due to metal fatigue behaviour, a single wheel could not withstand all the tests. To allow for this weakness in metal wheels, the test regulations actually specify that using one new wheel for EACH AND EVERY test is permissible during which it is destroyed, whereas in this case a single carbon fibre wheel withstood ALL tests and was still completely serviceable afterwards.

- Cornering fatigue: 100,000 cycles at 530Nm
- Radial fatigue: 500,000 cycles at 5200Nm
- Torsional fatigue: 100,000 cycles at 400Nm
- Impact test: 337.5kg from 150mm (JWL)

The front wheel was designed for a 135kg static load and the rear wheel for a 145kg static load (this translates into a bike with a total dry weight of 280kg). Modern sports bikes normally weigh between 160-220kg and race bikes rarely exceed 170kg, so these static load design parameters comfortably exceed normal conditions.

The Eurotype Test Centre has tested the rear wheels where both conventional and offset versions have been subjected to cornering fatigue testing in excess of 1,000,000 (one million) cycles at 590Nm.
[/FONT]

#26 ·
Carbon

:p

And I thought I had time on my hands! Al did you know all that or did you read all of it from a book? The word Anorak comes to mind!:rolling:

Get a new engine put in your Tre and show off those wheels to all! I was going to put carbon wheels on my Tre but as you know I didn't get the chance.:bawl:

You obviously cherished her even with all the problems she had, I don't think you will be satisfied with a jap bike as good as they are. The Nellie has so much wow factor, you won't get that with the Gixer.

#27 ·
Al, I've got it all planned out for you.:soapbox:

0. hang on to your carbon wheels

1. get your gixer.:doh:

2. moan & groan about how common it is for a year or so.:(

3. come back to the fold with an 1130. (No-one - in recent history - seems to have any trouble with that engine.):ele:

4. Watch everyone else turn green with envy, including me.:D

#28 ·
I agree with Engenia :bow:

Once you've had something unique and a bit different, it's very hard to go back to be just one of the masses, even if the unique and different had a few quirks. Isn't being a bit different one of the reasons we buy Italian in the first place ?

ciao
Derek

#30 ·
Interesting

Everything else is just a regular ol' cracker.

Also, I am not sure on this one but the carbon fiber statement is strength per unit weight. Doesn't that mean one pound/kilo/stone etc. of each would yield a far stronger component when comparing things to carbon fiber? Having said that, the wheels are far lighter than stock wheels and the argument could be true. Not saying they don't meet standards but I have seen a few 20 Dynamag cracked and chunked rims. Who knows though, whatever they hit could have done the same to a standard rim as well. The argument continues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.