Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where did that ball bearing come from ? - the Directors Cut

Ok, so after 3 months I finally get a call from the store to say the stepper motor is in and could I bring the bike in to get it replaced. It's the next day and I ring the mechanics to see when it's going to be ready, keeping in mind of course that I am going to the Melbourne Toy Run this week end.

So Calvin, gets on the phone and says "You won't believe this ...". Seems they have replaced the stepper motor, run up the engine and everything is perrrfect. They take out the sump plug to replace the oil and oh oh ! Attached is a loose single ball bearing ! Where did that come from ?

So Calvin dives into the manual trying to figure out where the bearing could have originated. He tells me it's not from the crank end because they don't have those sorts of bearings and most of the others don't use bearings of that size. He think perhaps the clutch. But the odd thing is that the bearing is in brand new condition and the motors working perfectly. Currently he's thinking it could have been accidentally dropped into the bottom of the engine when it was built 5,000ks ago in Italy and it's only just recently managed to come near the sump plug, which is magnetic. You would expect that if a bearing came apart enough to drop at least one ball it would fark the engine very quickly, but the engine appears to be fine so it's a miracle it didn't. If the bearing was in since assembly it's amazing it didn't float into something critical in 5,000ks.

Anyways, Calvin's now going to spend the next couple of days taking the engine apart to check for where it may have come from and/or any damage that may have occurred.

So much for having it back for the Toy Run :-(

Thank god for warranties !

Derek

·
5,928 Posts
Hi Derek,
the shaft that operates the clutch (from the actuating lever) has a ball bearing at the clutch end. It's about 4mm dia. Have a look at pg 152 of the manual.

That's the only ball bearing I know of, that's not in a race. If you had lost a ball out of a race, there'd be trouble.

If it has been in there since production, it couldn't do any damage. It would just sit on the bottom of the sump.

Check the clutch actuating rod. See if it's got a ball at the end of it!

cheers
Errol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a phone call today to say that they have taken everything apart and there's no missing ball bearings or any signs of damage. In combination with the mint unused appearance of the bearing they have concluded that it some how found it's way into the engine during assembly and only recently moved near the sump plug. So I could pick up the bike. They finished the service and loaded the latest maps.

I picked up the bike and it ran perfectly until the first intersection where it stalled. it used to do that a lot until the previous remapping so I just thought - one off. But the time I had gone 15kms down the road it had stalled a good 6 or 7 times, sometimes twice just sitting idling at the lights. The last time it then decided to do the "I'm too hot to restart" thing again and even after waiting 30 minutes would not turn over.

So I got the bike home - on the back of a truck ! Tomorrow morning it's going back on a truck to the mechanics with a message of get it fixed and sort out the maps and hot starting.

I need to find out if I need to have the starter replaced under warranty now because regardless of heat, it should be able to turn over.

This very much reminds me of the Aprilia. I had about 6 or 7 months of hell with it when I got it until I sent it back with a phone call which said - "Don't call me until it's fixed!". They figured out what was wrong and when I got it back I had no more troubles :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes me feel very lucky that I'm only 5 minutes from the service center :doh:

I'd offer to loan you the scooter but it's waiting on a fan thermostat so it's off the road at the moment - how italian :p

Mike
he he - Thanks Mike, but I'm now riding my girlfriend's new GSR600. At this rate I'll have put more ks on it than she has :D

Anyways, I had the CR taken back to a1 this morning by RACV. The towing company they sent out had a dedicated bike mini-truck. The tray had a specially made well at the front for the front wheel to go into and tie down points. In addition, the whole tray articulated off the back of the truck to lay flat on the road behind it. Made putting the bike on it a simple matter of wheeling it onto the tray and the driver hitting the lift button. Slick !

Also had a ring from Calvin this afternoon. He's having conversations with the importer's chief techo about various mappings and what they are going to do with the bike. I told him he could have it as long as he likes to get it sorted. He's planning to take it for some decent rides to test it rather than the usual round the block rides they give bikes after a service. Might have to buy him a bottle of whiskey at this rate :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about that ;) But I think my bikes become his personal nemasis :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heard from a1 today and the news is good/interesting. Firstly they have put the older map back in and it seems to be much better.

Secondly, Calvin tells me that the latest news from the factory is that the valve that the stepper motor controls is now recognised by the factory to be an issue. He didn't say how but I guess it jams or something. Anyway, Clayton from Stoney Creek is flying down next week with a new one they are going to fit as well.

So once that's done the bike should be spike and span :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've now been back on the bike for a few days so it's time for an update. Basically I have to conclude that so far the work has been a waste of time. The bike is in fact running worse than it was. Today it start surging and farting on any revs above about 4,000. I gut feeling is that instead of running leaner which is what I expected from getting a new stepper, it seems to be running richer. I've noticed a return of the regular "hicup" (although not as bad as it used to be) and I seem to be going through more gas if the fuel gauge is correct.

I found that if I give it a good hard rev or two at the lights, it then runs smoothly for a kiliometer or so before starting to surge and miss again so I'm figuring the richer mixture is fouling the plugs. Anyway, I still don't have a date for the bike to get seen by "Dr." Clayton so I might just have to send it back to the workshop sooner.

Phone call to a1 tomorrow morning me thinks :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Drekka, you have my sympathy. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that the factory will never produce a map which runs properly given the conflicting requirements of engine cooling, emissions control and not overloading the under-spec'ed battery. This is why I'm so anxious for a new map to be developed by the Tuneboy boys.
I know it might be galling to remove bits from a new bike but I feel that with the removal of all the emissions valves (air box & exhaust) and a larger battery (to allow the fans to be on longer), the map can get on with the business of fuelling the engine properly
Oh and a version number would help everyone identify which map works best, rather than dealers just installing "the latest"

Stick with it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have faith in the Doctor

Drekka,
sorry to hear about your bikes woes. Clayton has worked on both Madwogs and my TNT sports to great effect. We did not have stepper problems but he loaded the latest map and gave the bikes a tune with the axone to suit our Termi mufflers. Fuel economy has greatly improved as has the power output.
Have faith in the doctor!:bow:
Cheers Mike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Pike,

Won't be long and maps for TNT via tuneboy will be done, now have the latest software updates from Wayne and will be doing log runs with stock can and also the Quat-D can now we can get good AF data, I believe Wayne at Tuneboy will be working on the logs I send him to get a corrected map for both setups, happy times ahead I hope :D

·
1,841 Posts
Though I would make a comment on this one, The axone can only load tunes downloaded on it,ie from Benelli.It can not alter the maps as far as I am aware (idle trim excluded) Therefore if you tnt boys are going to mod your engines etc the way to go is surely TuneBoy. Even if you dont go the wideband o2 way, you can at least load maps modded by others. Go on buy one for XMAS present for yourself while the discount is available !!:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Busaguy

Nice one - I'd better add myself to the Tuneboy bulk order.....and get a Windows laptop with a serial port (I presume Tuneboy software isn't available for Mac OS?)

Remind me - Will I need to fit the O2(?) sensor in the exhaust? I know you're using one to develop the map

Cheers, Pike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tune boy lead is USB now, you only need the 02 sensor to get A/F readings so you can set CO2 and log the readings under normal riding conditions so you can alter the map to suit. Wayne is working on coding tune edit to "recommend" the trim from the A/F data. once maps are done you can use tune boy to download to the ECU. you can also alter your rev limit, adjust when the fans come on and alter the flap open/close points if you still have them fitted.

·
1,841 Posts
PIKE, as BUSAGUY says the tuneboy cable is usb connection,if you fit a wideband o2 sensor to the exhaust to measure the air/fuel ratio you will need a controller also, Wayne(TuneBoy) recommends
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com
the lc1 controller cable has a serial connection,so as I see it you would need a laptop with usb for tuneboy data and a serial port for the air/fuel data.The tuneboy datalogger software can be used to log the data. Hope this helps a bit, I am not experienced with this I have just been reading as it seems interesting.
There are other options including dataloggers and gauges.:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,

I actually asked the guys at a1 for the version number of the map a while ago but they didn't have one they could give me. They also said that they have noticed that not all Benellis respond to the same map in the same way. Seems the Friday/Monday build scenario has quite an effect at Benelli HQ :mad:

I'm also interested in the TuneBoy offer however I don't want to void warranty which is what it will do. Especially if I did something that caused an issue. At the moment, warranty has probably saved me 2 or 3 grand in workshop time. Hence my hesitation to go down that path until all officially supported Benelli options have been thrashed out.

·
3,085 Posts
mmm

tnt and CR maps are different, they have a different cam and mabe the inlet is slightly diffrent, is a wrong map in there?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I note that Tuneboy is USB now but I'm guessing it doesn't support the MAC OS? Thought not! Oh and sorry to have started this Tuneboy discussion within Drekka's thread

1 - 20 of 35 Posts