Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I'm looking at buying an '07 Cafe Racer with the engine map button. It has only 700miles on the clock. I'm after a cool fun and not too focussed machine that's as easy to ride slowly as it is to ride fast.

One thing that's important to me is throttle and brake control. For me it's got to be smooth and progressive so I can navigate city roads as well as the race track not that I'm ever going there. If these machines are really made for the track it's just not for me. The other thing I hate is really top heavy machines what does it feel like at a standstill? What sort of mileage should I expect? MCN quote 32mpg but I guess that's for pretty spirited driving. I'm more worried about range than cost here.

Am I looking at the wrong Benelli? Should I be looking at something really boring instead? Please save me from buying a new Yam FZ6!!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sooo - tell me your stories...

Hi,
Yes I'm from Sheffield, UK. Come on! Someone must have an opinion about the CR and other models.

So far I have the rather off putting impression of an uncomfortable bike with great handling, noisy engine, horrendous thirst, exploding alternator and occasional bad injection faults. I'd love to buy something as beautiful as this but I'm not going to spend this kind of money just to find out. Bennetts is probably the best dealership in the UK and just down the road from me so there should be no issue getting most any machine sorted.

So tell me-
Who's got a reliable sorted Benelli triple?
Should I buy this one?
Are they easily driven in traffic?
Is the 30 to 40mpg figure a myth and 45 to 50mpg achievable on a long run?
How much for the TNT Sport then?

Thanks

Chris

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I have a CR that I am very happy with. I now have 8000miles on it without a problem. The bike rides great at low speeds pulls in top gear from 2000rpm.
The clutch pull on these bikes is very heavy so is not great for stop start traffic. Neutral is difficult to engage so compounds the clutch issue. It does not have a very tight turning circle but is way better than the tornado, from what i have read of the tornado.
YOU WILL NEVER get 40mpg (US gallons)If the mapping is set right and you ride lightly you may get 34. I get about 120 miles on a Tank (not empty though) moderate to heavy riding.
As per looks -it is one of the best -will draw looks where ever you go.

Paul

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Paul,
You've told me exactly what I wanted to know. I'll let you know if I buy the beast. Sounds like it will have to be for love if atall. Clutch pull can't be as bad as my '70 Motobi 650. I'm looking forward to permenant tendonitis when I get that one on the road. They say it gets better when the bike is rolling... I'm not believing that one until I try it.

34 to the US Gal makes 41 to the Imperial gallon so it's just about falling into acceptable territory. 120miles is OK for range but does mean an extra pitstop on my regular long run. This is probably better than the old 750 six but worse that the 900 six.

The snow is clearing here after bringing the whole country to a standstill on Monday. Not that there was a lot of it, just that we haven't got the gear to deal with it as it happens so rarely. So I should be able to pop over to Bennetts at the weekend.

Chris

·
349 Posts
My TNT is brilliant.I have done 12k in 3 years as it is one of three bikes.Having always said that i would probably not want a Benelli as an only bike, i have also said many times that if i was told to have only 1 bike it probably would be the TNT that i would keep.Very difficult to ride slowly because it is such a hoot.Often i only return 25mpg!.Yes i have had problems but it is character building.If you want a permanent grin from ear to ear then the TNT is the bike for you.Definetely a summer bike as the weather protection is hopeless from the rear wheel spray.:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
go buy it if it stop's I can fix it:D :D :D :D

Great bikes and my favorite out of the Benelli range:clap:
Listen to Russ, I still to this day , I still pick up a motorbike book, and are still unable to find anything that comes even close to the style and absolute sexy look that it has. :D Nothing compares, even a DUC, which is why it is so hard to sell the damm thing, emotionally I just can't seem to let her go :bawl:

·
Registered
108 Posts
My TNT is brilliant.I have done 12k in 3 years as it is one of three bikes.Having always said that i would probably not want a Benelli as an only bike, i have also said many times that if i was told to have only 1 bike it probably would be the TNT that i would keep.Very difficult to ride slowly because it is such a hoot.Often i only return 25mpg!.Yes i have had problems but it is character building.If you want a permanent grin from ear to ear then the TNT is the bike for you.Definetely a summer bike as the weather protection is hopeless from the rear wheel spray.:)
Well said and mirrors my situation exactly.
Buying a Benelli defies logic. There are far more "better" options out there.
You buy it because you love it and you put up with the difficulties.
With you living so close to this "Rusty" fellow it would be a no-brainer.

Everytime I take mine out I beat the pi$$ out of her and she loves me for it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK guys I'm persuaded by your enthusiasm!

Zebo,
I used to work in Calne when I was about 20 and just starting with bikes. Some awfull circuit board factory on the industrial estate. The town had a bad reputation for drugs and violent crime at the time after the pie factory shut. We used to buy old hacks off Taylors, RDs and the like. The Taylor brothers were funny, I remember you had to get one of them on their own if you wanted a bike cheap. If it had been stuck to the showroom floor for a while he'd let it go for a song. I had the impression the other brother would rather scrap them than sell cheap. I had one chipshop special RD250 with a race fairing and allspeeds. This was the first bike I did over 90 on, up the hill on the A4 towards Cheryl, getting a few scowls from the locals on as I cackled round the roundabouts on the way out. You can't do that anymore with the speed cameras. I remember a work colleague got banned for doing 130 on the M4 on his split new CBR, I think he was the son of the local police chief or something and it was very embarassing. I recall there was an engine builder there that would do all those jobs that are so hard to get done nowadays, I gave him a worn crankshaft and within a week he had it metal sprayed and ground to size. Happy days. It's dead nice now, even Julian Cope lives there. People keep on asking me to come to the yearly classic bash there.

Chris

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Chris

If you want to try a TreK I live near meadowhall, you can have a ride of mine without a problem just PM me and we can arrange

Steve

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi,
Yes I'm from Sheffield, UK. Come on! Someone must have an opinion about the CR and other models.

So far I have the rather off putting impression of an uncomfortable bike with great handling, noisy engine, horrendous thirst, exploding alternator and occasional bad injection faults. I'd love to buy something as beautiful as this but I'm not going to spend this kind of money just to find out. Bennetts is probably the best dealership in the UK and just down the road from me so there should be no issue getting most any machine sorted.

So tell me-
Who's got a reliable sorted Benelli triple?
Should I buy this one?
Are they easily driven in traffic?
Is the 30 to 40mpg figure a myth and 45 to 50mpg achievable on a long run?
How much for the TNT Sport then?

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris

I have a 05 tornado - hassle free (bar one gearbox exchange on 1400mls) - I always take it to Russ (Bennett) for TLC once a year:bow: . (I have had the lower fairings replaced under warranty, clutch basket spacer changed under warranty, weeping core plugs - changed whilst in for service)
The bike has never left me stranded or failed to start - thats my definition of reliable :clap:

Trying to answer your questions....
Easily driven in traffic - I had a TNT from Russ whilst mine was in for service and found this very easy in traffic - ditto for a TreK - my Tornado used to be proper crap in traffic until I took it to Russ for a service then he put the latest fueling map
Fuel economy - My Tornado regularly returns 100 mls before the light comes on and I only ever pushed her to 137.7mls before filling up - this was part steady riding, but mostly at a long Mway blast 'early morning' :D ) - I think all are similar in returning 100mls before light comes on (exception to track days of course)
I dont find the Tornado a bad riding postion - albeit the TNT is an easier riding position and the TNT sport would deffo be my next Nelli away from a Tornado (just ask Russ how many times I drool over the black one with red tubular frame :p )
I wouldnt say the engine is terribly noisy - well not considering its a triple and 'Italian' engineering ;)
I havent heard of too many alternator issues causing major problems (esp if the bike is taken to Russ for TLC)

Good luck with whatever you choose - TNT, CR, TreK or Tornado - you will be mesmerised - thats for sure :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Hi Chris, Good to see the Editor off the Benelli UK Club here asking for opinions and hope that in terms of modern stuff were up to the job of guiding you into the saddle of any one of the lovely beasties !!! although you own a classic Tornado 650 and the nice Laverda RGS - lucky you ! . i love the look of the CR and think its so out there in terms of different that i'd have one if not on a Tornado . The TnT is a fantastic looking bike and Laurence posted a pic of the new in white 899 version which looked the business and benefited by having the latest version motor. your more than welcome to try my RS and of course would recommend that a visit to Russ's would be a great place to get your next (modern )Benelli . Good luck . ps. fuel economy i always let my grin factor overule my head :) .

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Chris, I havent had my tornado that long but all I can say is that it differs from person to person, I find the riding position comfy and wrists are fine, fuel consumption still to be put to the test but aint any worse than my firestorm,handling is great, its a strange feeling at first with it being front biased but you soon get to grips with that, the only negative that I can say about it is the steering lock is non existant, other than that I'm in love with it and have vowed never to part with it (unless she finally folds and lets me buy a brand new one) grin factor is tops! My missus just freaked today when I told her how much service/cam chain replacement etc was, but I was pleased with it , I've never paid for any services before as Im quite handy with a spanner so this is why she was a bit pissed, It didnt help when I pointed out to her that her bloody fingernails cost more than that that to maintain each year, But the best part is when I go into the garage and look at it and have to pinch myself to make sure that it really is there and all mine, Ive never felt so proud of owning a bike before in my life:ele:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, Kurt and Angus,
Good to hear from you and thanks for the offers of test rides. Having seen my driving that really is true devotion to the marque!

Kiddy,
Your Mrs gets her fingernails done!! You lucky man, but I guess they must be sharp at times ;-) . My Mrs is a bit too hands on with the bikes at times and the TNT has to fit her as well. Having said that, she stops the extreem impulse buying so I haven't ended up with many beautiful lemons and I can move about in the shed. luckily she's 5'10" so it's normally me that's too big for the bikes rather than her that's too small

Chris

·
349 Posts
Hi Chris,What a small world.Did you know that both the Taylor boys are dead now.Andy was tragically killed in a bike accident about 15 years ago,he was the youngest.And John died of a heart attack last year.He was the same age as me he was 53.We were at school and college together.The elder 2 brothers that had the Chippenham bike shop are still about but both shops are now no more.Which is why we are doing bike repairs now.
Yes you must come down for the annual bike meet,on a nice day you cant beat it.Live band outside the Lansdowne Hotel and all that:clap: .
All the best,
John Zebedee:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zebo,
Sad news about the Taylor boys, those shops "were" motorcycling to the locals. Yup, there were others but they were old school mostly, like Chequers in Chippenham. I heard the shops had closed as my dad still lives there.

On a cheerier note, would you believe White's are still trading in Malmesbury? No longer selling motorcycles although they still have a stock of spares. Old boy Chalky can still be found behind the counter. I wouldn't even try to put an age on him but it's got to be the wrong side of 65.

In about '99 or somewhen I had a comedy sprint on with one of the older Taylor brothers; him on a GSXR and me on a Morini 3.5 up the dual carriageway between the M4 and Chippenham. He'd recognized the bike he'd MOT'd the day before. I won by shear comparison of brake performance and not in a good way. I hadn't been home for some time and didn't know they'd put traffic lights in halfway up the road. Of course I saw the GSXR's brake light come on but the Morini's grimecas were so poor I couldn't stop and shot past the lights "winning" the sprint through bad behaviour alone. Shame made me hastily take a left to Kington Langley ;-).

Taylors in Chippenham sold the Morini Dart for a brief period. I don't think they understood it really and not many sold. The salesmen complained about the mousetrap clutch but someone must have been an enthusiast.

I will make it to the bike meet this year, we have a couple of regular attendees in the club.

Chris

·
349 Posts
I did my apprenticeship at Chequers in Chippenham 35 years ago.Pete Havard who i met when we both worked at Chequers is still my Service Manager.:clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts