Benelli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tre has suddenly started making this weird whirring sound that varies in pitch with the engine speed. It's running just fine, but this sound just started and it's got me a tad worried :confused: Anybody else experience this?

mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd try and figure out were it is coming from. heads, crank, gear box, etc. One method that's a bit old fashioned but can give you a really good listening is to get a screw driver, hold the tip against the engine and the handle against your ear. Pretty much acts like a stethoscope giving you pin point accuracy.

Safety note: thats AGAINST your ear, not IN it :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
5,891 Posts
I noticed mine doing that a few weeks back. I assumed it was always there, so didn't give it another thought. It's not obtrusive.

My last oil test showed traces of ferrous particles, so maybe it's related. I was going to check the old culprit - clutch gears, although mine is up to spec. It's done 30,000km now, maybe the most of any out there, so who knows what surprises are around the corner!

Perhaps you could check a sample of your oil. Take about 50ml. Dilute it with another 50ml, then place the sample over a magnet overnight. Drain it slowly the next day, with the magnet still in place & have a look under a microscope. If it's there, you'll see it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you will get bits in your oil due to wear and tear.the trouble that can cause it is most folks when the 1st start the bike up from cold,they always rev it and that is what cause the wear due to no oil being at the top.also when on the move they give it some stick when cold,and this is the worse thing you can do to a cold engine being a bike or car.hope this will help to ease your worry.
oh another thing when you drain the oil out do you give it a good flush out.if you don't then their will be particals still in your engine.so that when you fill up with fresh oil,this will wash bits down to the drain plug. what I normally do when I service my bikes(..depending how many miles I've in a year) I mix 50/50 oil and parraffin.turn the engine over(ignition off) a couple of times,
leave it to stand for a couple of minutes then drain out.I've never had problems with any of my bikes over the years doing this.some may disagree but each to there own I'd say.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I used a screwdriver and listened at various points on the engine - head, cylinder, crankcase, etc. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary anywhere, other than the breeze blowing through my head :rolling: so I guess everything's okay. I'll find out tomorrow - I'm doing a 400-mile ride with some buddies.

·
5,891 Posts
Is there a place to send oil to for a proper analysis?
I got Valvoline to do a test some years ago on my old Honda. Now I have a mate who blends oils. His main customer is heavy industry - selling 100's of litres at a time. This is expensive, so he offers a testing service that allows the customer to check the state of the existing oil, and machine. There's probably similar companies doing the same in your neck of the woods.
It's been interesting watching the state of my oil from the first change. Heaps of metal in it to begin with, then nothing, until now, when a trace of metal has shown up again.
If you're interested, pm me with your email address, and I'll send you the pdf of my last analysis, which includes a summary of the bike's life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oil analysis

Is there a place to send oil to for a proper analysis?
G'Day John,
You can send a sample of your oil to any Caterpillar dealer with oil type (doesn't matter what brand) and age of oil for analysis. Iron, Silicone, Aluminium, Glycol and plenty more elements are detectable in these samples. This is Caterpillar's "Scheduled Oil Sampling" program. Ring any CAT dealer for details of sample quantities required and they can fill you in on the details. Not a shameless plug, just a resource that's cheaply available to any bloke (or gal) for any toy.
Cheers, Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts