Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from anyone in the world that has had the Z25 gear and alt shaft replaced on their bike before they bought it. From everything I've searched and read here, I can't find anyone who had them changed prior to purchase. Of all the posts I've read here, everyone says get them to replace such and such and such,.....Specifically, I'd like to know who in the USA has had these things done to their bike before/as part of purchase.
I'm getting the impression (from all I've read) that no one has actually had these things done, yet are only saying to get the dealer to do it. I'm going on everything I've read here, and the dealer is telling me how it's done, that what I'm asking for is beyond what Benelli is obligated to do, that it's done only if the bike exhibits the slow start symptoms. I don't know whether they are trying to avoid doing it because Benelli won't cover the cost (which I think they should), if there really is no need for it if there are no symptoms as they say, or if all of what I've read here is mis-information. The deal I had is blown, and any future deals may just as well end up blown, meanwhile I'm calling all over the country sounding like an idiot requesting something that is unheard of!! I'm really getting disgusted here

·
Registered
784 Posts

I am also interested in finding out this information. My '07 TnT Sport does not have the Z25 gear installed. My bike is practically new since I rarely get to ride it....:bawl: work!!!:mad:

I have only experienced the hot start problem a couple of times so my bike "doesn't need it done" (Benelli of America Tech).

So as you can see I am concerned since my warranty is running out in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you're worried about the problem coming on when the bikes out of warranty, it should be pretty easy to provoke.

Start the bike on a hot day and ideally after it hasn't been ridden for a few weeks. Ride 10 miles through town (so the battery hasn't had a chance to re-charge) to a gas station and fill up.

If you come out and it starts fine, maybe you have got a good one. If not phone the dealer and shout. As you say, better to find out for sure before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Z25 gears

I have an AUg-2006 model, it has the correct Z25 gear in the engine, it is quite easy to take the clutch cover off and have a look. ( peice of mind).

I thought i had the hot start issue, bought a new 14 series battery, and all the full clutch and gear set, only to find that the battery sorted the problem.

The z25 and clutch system was a recall from the years of 2005 and back, as I have the updated z25 from the factory ( same mfg date on shaft as the engine), mechanically it should be fine, but best to have a look.

If you have a 2006+ model, i would think it is mechanically sorted, ride it as they say here, disconnect one of the low beam headlights and just see. AS the discussions of the USA benelli importer is not to good, you may just have to do it yourself ( takes 3 hours)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an AUg-2006 model, it has the correct Z25 gear in the engine, it is quite easy to take the clutch cover off and have a look. ( peice of mind).

I thought i had the hot start issue, bought a new 14 series battery, and all the full clutch and gear set, only to find that the battery sorted the problem.

The z25 and clutch system was a recall from the years of 2005 and back, as I have the updated z25 from the factory ( same mfg date on shaft as the engine), mechanically it should be fine, but best to have a look.

If you have a 2006+ model, i would think it is mechanically sorted, ride it as they say here, disconnect one of the low beam headlights and just see. AS the discussions of the USA benelli importer is not to good, you may just have to do it yourself ( takes 3 hours)
The build date on the one I'm working on getting is Sept 2006 so if thats the case it would most likely have the updated parts, but I can see pulling the cover for a peek at some point just for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hot start problem

get the stupid dealer to fix it, all the bikes have the same parts, they all need to be fixed, why they don't just do it before delivery is beyond me, I worked at a Benelli dealership, trust me, they all have this problem and it is an easy fix, then you get a lovely bike!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would love too...:rolleyes: But the dealer won't because Benelli of America won't authorize it....:mad:
That seems to be the bottom line, so I gave up beating the dead horse. Getting the bike.....they'll do some tests as part of the setup process and it's mine. Won't worry about it for two years at least:rolleyes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
That seems to be the bottom line, so I gave up beating the dead horse. Getting the bike.....they'll do some tests as part of the setup process and it's mine. Won't worry about it for two years at least:rolleyes:
I hope Benelli is still active in the USA in 2 years. May have to send off to Italy or China for the parts by then. Late Ser# bikes should be ok. Alot of the 07's brought in were left over 06's that Benelli couldn't sell so sent them here. About 250 of them sent in first year. I'll bet over half are still unsold.
Low Ser# 07's still have the problem(because they're built in 06). We had 6 here for bikeweek in March 07. ALL but one crapped out, blew up or broke down(overheated), or wouldn't start hot. Got to test some later numbered bikes and there was a pretty big difference. Always started hot or cold, never overheated, and ran awesome. If they had done this earlier, Benelli would be much more popular. Early tests sunk the company. Ashame really because the bike kicks ass.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope Benelli is still active in the USA in 2 years. May have to send off to Italy or China for the parts by then. Late Ser# bikes should be ok. Alot of the 07's brought in were left over 06's that Benelli couldn't sell so sent them here. About 250 of them sent in first year. I'll bet over half are still unsold.
Low Ser# 07's still have the problem(because they're built in 06). We had 6 here for bikeweek in March 07. ALL but one crapped out, blew up or broke down(overheated), or wouldn't start hot. Got to test some later numbered bikes and there was a pretty big difference. Always started hot or cold, never overheated, and ran awesome. If they had done this earlier, Benelli would be much more popular. Early tests sunk the company. Ashame really because the bike kicks ass.

A few things that are confusing (and could stand to be clarified for current and future Benelli owners) is determining whether they are actually 06's with restamped/new labeled VINs or in fact 07's, and what months the production runs from. The 99 Laverda I had was really a 98 that was restamped on the frame as a 99 (I thought that was very suspect, but was legit in the end) and my 05 MZ had all sorts of pre-delivery stickers refering to "this 2004 vehicle conforms....." all over it, the frame vin stamped on headstock show it to be an 04, yet I have a DOT label with a new VIN# on the frame so it's considered an 05! Yet it "really" is an late build 04, it just took so long to get them leagl for the US market they had to do this to all 100 they brought in and it was now nearing 2005! Went through some back in forth with distributor, DOT and in the end it was legit....but sure was a mickey mouse deal IMO.
Guess that's how it is with these obscure bikes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I bought a brand new 1994 Triumph Super III in 1999!! It had been shipped to the US, assembled, dismantled and shipped back to the UK, Only had 30 miles on it.

Back on subject, I had a new alternator fitted to my '04 bike in March 2007. I don't know whether the gear was changed or even if the alternator was the latest but I presume it was OK coz Rusty checked it and said it was fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts