Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think you all know the answer to that question.

The sun was out this morning so i thought i'd take a trip out to George Whites at Swindon(90 miles round trip,just about do that on a tank full!!),loads of people up there picking up their new 09 reg.
bikes,and as usual the Benelli was the centre of attraction.

When i got home i pulled up and i had steam coming up thru the fairing so left it to cooldown and investigated.The expansion tank was empty so filled her up and i've got coolant coming out of what i think is a core plug on the left hand side of the engine which is up behind the coolant hoses on the block.

As she's booked into Streffords next Monday they are getting it.
Couple of Questions

1 is it a big job to change said core plug(if thats what it is)

2 anyone recommend a good bike transport service.

Dont worry,i'm not in a 'throw my teddy in the corner' mood with the bike.It got me home and I knew what i was getting into with it and i intend to persevere with it,if only for that rush at 9000 rpm :)

So i'm off the road for a couple of weeks,just think how much money i'll save on petrol!!!

cheers

fred

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Fred,

Ah, the good old Core Plug issue....haven't heard about one of them for a while. Thought that all the duff plugs would have been changed by now.

This was a common problem a few years back have a look at this old post

It's not a hard job to change the offending article, more awkward than anything else. You should be able to pick up a replacement 16mm core plug from any good motor factor but I also believe that this size are used on Ducatis so check out your local dealer if you have one.

Do a search for core plug on the forum and you will find lots more info.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Not a hard job to do the replacing of a core plug on the left side and there has been threads on this matter. Its a steel core plug that gets rusted by the fact that water passes it by and can be changed for a Ducati one which comes in Brass finish and more resistant to corrosion and benelli do a replacement which is very like what was used on engine build but i'm told was better quality. Not dear and looking at couple of pound for genuine one . the job itself is not a hard feat.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
realise laurence has jumped in as i'm typing - I'm sure your hard wired into the system there Laurence :bow: . I had a couple of spare ones but have sent FOC in the past so if i find one it'll be easy for me to post . I'm currently doing a clutch on my partners Fiat and BOY WISH IT WAS EASY !!!! gggrrr (come in for drink/mutter/ tear something in temper and then carry on !). i replaced one on my Tre i Had and must admit i coated the inside of core plug with silicon to make more resistant to corrosion .

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Ha, Ha, you'll need to get up a bit earlier in the morning to beat me Angus :rolling:

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
same old thing

The more senior boys are right mate, its the Core plug again. You would think that when ever a Benelli goes in for a service that the dealers would change the cream cheese ones for the better ones. I had the same & went into mass panic mode. Its a small job & even i would feel confident to give it a whirl (I AM THICK BY THE WAY!!) Look on the bright side, at least you live in a part of the world with great roads to blast. I used to own a Pub in West Hanney so i know its a great area. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She went to Streffords in the back of the van today,they're gonna do the core plugs,remap and oil and filter change for me.
Have to say i'm quite impressed with them so far,only rang on saturday and should have her back by monday.:eek: Spoke to the mechanic and he seemed to know what he was talking about(i don't)!!!:doh:
will let you know how it all goes

fred

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Good news mate, hope all goes well, sure it will. It makes a change to hear good things about a mechanic (RUSTY RUSS IS THE EXCEPTION :bow: :bow: )Keep us informed as to progress :) :) :)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Ahhhh the core plug problem ....... that brings back memories.
Sitting at the lights with a double decker bus sitting to my left with the driver making bizarre hand signals to me to catch my eye. His pointing at the road eventually led me to realise I was pissing fluid all over the place. Thankfully I was only 5 mins away from home at the time:D

Al

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up the bike today from Streffords and its transformed.:D

Core plug fixed,6034 map installed to match the Benelli sport race can,oil and filter changed and the bike given a general once over and given a clean bill of health.They came and picked the bike up from my house as well.:clap:

I'm not going to tell you what all that cost but suffice to say i thought it was very reasonable(less than i expected) and the people at Streffords seem very knowledgeable and really genuine.I'll definately be using them in the future.:bow:

Had a great ride home,
along the A44 thru Worcester, Evesham, Statford upon avon, Chipping norton and Oxford and with no flat spot between 5-7000 rpm its a different machine.Oh and the sun was out:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Fred, thats great news, i had a feeling that Streffords would be good, they seemed very helpful.
Looking forward to doing business with them now, enjoy the good weather i know I am, Steve.

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the mechanics name is Nathan,he's the guy to speak to:bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts