Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Hagon shock at the moment - far better than standard, but still soft. Will the Tornado one fit? Also got Hagon's fork springs, but the forks will still bottom and top out on speedbumps, potholes etc. Any solutions short of buying new forks?

PS fitted an Evoluzione hydraulic clutch, if anyone's interested. They've stopped listing them on the site, but have a few left. I've used a Brembo master cylinder from an older Ducati (coffin-style resevoir), not perfect as the lever is black and can foul the switch housing - trying a VFR one next. What I really need is one of a recent Multistrada, but they don't come up on Ebay for £25..

PPS if the answer is no, I have a good Tornado rear shock for sale..... Also if anyone wants the standard rear shock from my TNT it can be yours for modest cash. The seals aren't gone, it's only done a few thou, but it's just too soft for me.

·
3,085 Posts
shock

should fit straight in, just make sure they are both the same length, they should be, also theres a RS Shock on Aussie Ebay for sale, in fact I though the TnT, Tornado Tre and Cafe Racer were exactly the same shock? ,maybe they have slightly diffrent springs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all, I checked with Johnny O, he said that the coolant expansion tank on the TNT has to be removed so the Tornado piggyback reservoir will fit in but lengths & spring rates are correct.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Robin, I have also put Hagon front springs in my standard TNT, as you say still to soft so I made up two 11mm spacers and fitted them internally to the top of the springs to give more preload.
Much better but probably could have gone 15mm, also I changed the oil to a mix of 15w and 7w fork oil (4 parts 15 1 part 7) this has the effect of increasing the rebound and compression damping. Remember on the standard TNT only one fork leg has the damping valves even though the other leg has oil in it there is no damping assembly fitted.
I weigh just over 16 tons (oops I mean stones) and have no problem with the Hagon rear shock I have increase the preload to give about 15mm sag then adjusted the compression/rebound screw out by 3 turns and found it to be plenty stiff enough.
I have now purchased a TNT sport :) :) :) which has full suspension adjustment front and back the rear shock also has a remote reservoir……………….so I’m sure there is plenty of suspension adjustment to play around with.
At the Excel show I notice that the TRE-K has the standard non adjustable suspension front and back what a shame :mad: haven’t ridden one yet but if it’s like my old TNT suspension it will be crap 2 up or with any luggage carried.

I can drag out the drawing for the fork spacers if you want or even make you a set ( at a reasonable cost) if you have a problem getting them machined.
vtxbrit

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Robin.
I`ve just received a Nitron Track Shock with a remote resevoir for the TNT.
http://www.nitron.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=products_new
The online shop at Nitron will have the TNT shock on soon but give them a call as I found them really helpful. Part number for the race spec is NTBKB 01R and the track is NTBKB 01T link to Nitrons pdf file http://www.nitron.co.uk/nitron-bikes.pdf
Bought mine at the MCN show from Bike Torque Racing
http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/Handling/nitron.asp
All shocks are made to order and to riders weight:clap: :clap:
Yet to fit mine so I`m still looking at it in the box........

·
Registered
736 Posts
Suspension updates

Just Updated my album with pics of the Nitron Shock
http://www.benelliforum.com/gallery/benellidave/DSCF00050
Next on the list is a pair of these beauties:jig: :jig: :cool: :cool:
>>>>>>>>>http://www.benelliforum.com/gallery/benellidave/usd50rac
Apparently they will fit straight into TNT yokes:clap: :clap: or the other route for the older TNT`s like mine is a set of Matris Cartridges 1 rebound and 1 compression like older Aprilia RS250 had,http://www.carpimoto.it/content/prod/l_EN/s_1_Home/fi_17_Matris/pr_28214_Matris_Fork_Cartridge_Kit_for_Benelli_TNT_1130_rebound_and_compression_alternate_on_one_cartrige_rebound_on_the_other_compression.htm

·
1,841 Posts
rear spring

Robin, I have just looked in the manuals and the tornado and tornado rs are listed as 85 n/mm spring rate the tnt is listed as 90 n/mm ie a stiffer spring !
If the tnt unit is too soft why not just get a stiffer spring.

·
903 Posts
Mind reader!

:p

Colin, you read my mind as that is what I was going to say. I had to do that with my Kawasaki ZXR400many years ago as the spring was soooooo heavy that it never absorbed shock just lifted you out of the seat! Not what you want when you are trying to keep up with your mates Gixer 750!:doh:
I had to revise the linkage too as is was too short and did not have the leverage to compress the shock properly.

Happy day's!:cool:

Benellidave, cracking set of forks mate!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for advice

Thanks for all the advice and replies. BenelliDave, I've seen the price of the cartridges - what did you pay for the shock?

Thinking about it, the back end is better than the front now. Has anyone actually had the fork cartridges fitted?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Special price at the MCN show £379 all in. That was for the track shock:clap: :clap:
Had a bit of trouble last night as I was fitting it as the bottom clevis wasn`t the correct size:doh: :doh:
Emailed Nitron and they said that they would machine a new one for me and post it:clap: :clap: Seems that Benelli made different sizes for the bottom suspension link:doh: :doh: Really helpful guys at Nitron tho and I would recomend using them.:bow: :bow:
Nice to have a company that actually gives a sh?t
Apparently they fitted one of their shocks to Gary Inmans TNT (Performance Bikes Mag) that was a 23mm clevis and mine (2004) is 21mm!!

http://www.nitron.co.uk/

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nitron Fitted

Got the Nitron shock fitted now:clap: :clap: had a few probs but got over them now.
Fitted the resevoir in 2 differant places!!! Firstly on the rear footrest mountings then behind the footrests. Just have enough clearance I think.:confused: :confused:
See my album for pictures.

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Nice job Dave. I think it looks much neater with the reservoir on the inside or the rear foot bracket.:)

What do you use to lube your chain by the way?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks Laurence it`s staying on the inside of the rear footrest bracket:) :)
:rolling: :rolling: What do I lube the chain with??????? LOTS:rolling: :rolling:
Sorry i`ll have to clean before I take any more pictures!!:eek: :eek:

·
349 Posts
tnt shock

Nice job Dave,i have a red TNT as well.Bought my Nitron from Bike Torque racing too.Yet to fit it.Better get on to Nitron about the clevis because mines a 2004 model.Where did you get the reservoir straps? they look nice.
Will post pictures when finished.
Zebo.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Resevoir clamps

The straps I used are stainless EC15`s
Commonly known to all electricians as earth clamps.:rolling: :rolling:
I have a box full of them at work so took some to try and found a bolt to fit the thread and short enough to go through the bottom of the cargo box under the seat.:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can get them in B & Q or any hardware shop.

Keep an eye on my album as I have just received the ultimate upgrade for the front end !!!:jig: :jig:
More on that soon and a new thread
Dave

·
Registered
736 Posts
Zebo.
How did you get on fitting & setting up your Nitron shock?
Took mine to a mate of mine, (Francis Williamson ex BSB Privateer:bow: :bow: ) to take a look at the setup of the rear and got him to work out why it felt soooo hard!!!
Spent about an hour measuring, setting sag, and ended up with compression wound right out, rebound nearly max + and adjusted spring preload.
Took it for a ride to see if it was better and it`s fantastic.:clap: :clap:
Francis took it for a spin and was gone for about 1/2 hour!!!!! was getting worried.
He came back with the now famous "TNT grin" !!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts