Benelli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its taken its toll.. but I'm generally quite surprised by how well its held up!.. Its been used pretty much everyday.. it looks a bit worse for wear.. but its kept me safe.. did over 400 pissed-wet-thru 100MPH+ miles just over the weekend, two-up and it was ok.. Good and sure-footed and safe.

I've had enough slides and slips to make me think I am a riding god (whereas as in reality the back probably moved a couple of mm, but it felt more!).. been stopped (and let off) twice by the plod for speeding.. I've learnt that the OE Dunlops are hard as nails, don't inspire confidence on cold and wet roads, but offer a lot more grip than they appear to. I've managed without mirrors and perfected my under-armpit lifesavers (tho neither time did I spot the old bill behind me till it was too late). I've discovered my waterproofs aren't, after about an hour!, I've realised that the bikes awful rough sounding idle and generally bag-of-nails noise is best cured with earplugs, that the howl it makes as it hits about 7000 rpm is enough to make any remaining hair I have still stand on end, that the light is bright enough to make those middle-lane-morons move over, that ex-PO red rubber bands make the footpegs grippy enough to be used in the rain... that I only ever seem to get about 22MPG.. whether its hooning about in the Lakes or steaming up and down the M6... that other bikers double-take when they see it moving.. and can't resist a chat when its parked up!.., that to get the confidence to be fast in horrible conditions is to get out there and do it!...but mostly, that every time I go back to it, I feel so proud that its mine..

Would I have a Firegixxerzzzz instead? No chance!

So.. other than having a crap cold start.. (stalls for the first 5 miles) and the indicators long since having given up the ghost..and perhaps more corrosion than its gonna take a bit of WD40 to sort.. I have to say I am most impressed!

So, now, some 2500 miles later,.. I think it needs some TLC!

(Can I post pics on here?)

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Great ride report! You sure can post pics here. Look for the the "manage attachments" section below the text field in the reply-to-thread page and select the files you want to upload from your computer.

Select upload.

The finish your message and click "Submit Reply"

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Well said Bolero!!!:bow:

Would I have a Firegixxerzzzz instead? No chance!
Can't wait until Al reads this!!!!!:rolling:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably the worst-kept Tornado..

What d'ya think of my Go-faster (erm...hold-it-together) Duck Tape stripes?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
So I take it you had a bit of an 'off' then eh?
Whats the damage to the bike then (apart from the obvious)
Ouch !!

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Mine seems to have held up fairly well this winter - except for the odd rusty nut (ouch!)

I do like the idea of lackie bands on the foot rests to keep your feet from sliding off the pegs!

Andy

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I'm loving the taping of the fairings idea Steve:) This is obviously a trick to make any potential thief think twice about nicking your bike as they reckon it might fall apart on them:rolling: Did you get a discount on your insurance for that:confused:;)

Al:bow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOl.. Al I think if any potential thief read about your troubles that would be enough to put them off nicking it anyway! (how is it going by the way?)

As for having an 'off' I wish!... least that way I'd have done the damage and could tell tall tales in the pub about how I was "backin it in at a hundred and ninety when it spat me off" .. but no.. my bike 'accidentally fell over'.. four times now its been pushed over in the street!... you can't really tell in the pics but the bike is parked on a pretty steep hill yet it still manages to 'fall over' on the high side! doh!... I live in a student street and apparently its very entertaining for them to come wrecked outta the pubs and then sit on our bikes.. :mad:

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere safer to park it!...

As for the damage.. what you can see in the pics + the mirrors written off and a big ding in the pipe.... + scrapes on the levers/bar ends etc...

Thing is I've got a £500 excess on my insurance policy so it doesn't seem worth claiming.. I've have managed to buy a (green) fairing lower off Ebay for £15.00 so I'll eventually (I hope) get around to replacing all the broken plastics!

I'd welcome any suggestions about you think I should do with the culprits when I find them ;)

·
3,082 Posts
bugger me

Jesus have mercy, I honestly dont know how you UK residents manage it, cold cloudy bullshit weather and not a shed to shelter in, and I thought I was slumming it when i left the shed back in perth (200 Sq Ft) (90 Sq Mtrs) and had to put up with a plain jane 2 car garage here in Margaret River. PS see my file for MEGA SHED pics.
I dip my hat,

ps
actually I'm amazed its there in the morning, isnt bike theft rampant in the UK ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike theft

Hmm... I think bike theft is probably pretty bad.. judging by the amount of 'track' bikes for sale that don't have any chassis/engine numbers at some of the more dubious bike breakers...!

However I suppose it depends what you ride.. much as if you left your burger unattended at Mcdonalds some chav would probably nick it, whereas if you were eating at the Ritz you could expect to find your dinner still there after a visit to the mens room!... its much the same I suspect with a Japclone 1000 v Tornado :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts