Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone else getting a dire signal in there house. Got three computers in ours and our (talk talk) signal from the router is terrible.
:(

Wireless router signal boosters are available on fleebay but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced box of tricks that they are using.:confused:
[h=3][/h]Cheers lads.:bow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Buy yourself three (or 4 if you want to network your TV / Sky box) Solwise 500Mpbs Homeplug AV Ethernet adaptors. (PL-500AV-Piggy)

Stick the router as close to the Phone line as you can get it, Connect one adaptor to the router and use one at each of the power points that you use for the PCs. A brilliant solution.
I use one at each of my workstations and one for my Sky Box and they work perfectly and they're simple to set up.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM interesting Hussar from leominster...i shall look into that my self :clap:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Wireless boosters are great but dont get the cheap ones off ebay, expect to pay about £30, if your internet is bad when you are downstiars then maybe get a new router as most of the time its the router that is the issue.
Hi Chris - I bought the latest router from BT a couple of months ago (Hub4) and its made not the slightest bit of difference to the old belkin router I'd had for 7 years !!!

Do these 'boosters' only work when you have a desktop PC - or do they actually boost the wireless signal?

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,430 Posts
I'd say you're routers not the problem,you're getting interference from some where and in my experience ( I fit routers all day) boosters are not the answer.......... Don't know what is though:doh:

·
6,010 Posts
I used a booster a few years ago to access a network that was diagonally across the street. Without it I had nothing, with it it came though great.
Can't tell you what brand it was, although it was a well recognised name.
It's stored in my garden shed if you want me to find out exactly what it was.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
I used a booster a few years ago to access a network that was diagonally across the street. .
Didn't the Wireless Network Fuzz catch onto you Errol :bow:, you bad lad ! :rolling:

I've recently changed to the stuff off Sky (Thanks to Fred :clap:) and it works fine, including the Sky Go in the bedroom ;), but saying that, so did the Belkin router beforehand via Virgin Media :doh:

(Just don't start me on BT ! :mad:)

Klink, try removing some of your Benelli parts stash in the loft, it's probably acting as a barrier ;)

I'd be interested to know the result you take though mate to see if anything works, :clap:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the same problem in our house. We are on 3 levels in a property with thick stone walls. Wireless signal was great in the same room as the router but dire everywhere else. Moving the router from room to room only ever improved the signal in that particular room, still leaving next to no signal everywhere else. Booster (Belkin) did improve but only marguinally and still failed tio reach up or downstairs rooms. Finally went down the route suggested by Hussar, bingo!!! Signal wherever needed and of sufficient strength to watch tv. But as a word of caution, make sure your speed is up to scatch before going to any other solution or you are just wasting time and money if the speed is too low to begin with!!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Sort of same theme...what's the best one for transmitting sky to another room Fredzedex did mention one but can't remember if he named it.

·
Tornadomiester
328 Posts
Buy yourself three (or 4 if you want to network your TV / Sky box) Solwise 500Mpbs Homeplug AV Ethernet adaptors. (PL-500AV-Piggy)

Stick the router as close to the Phone line as you can get it, Connect one adaptor to the router and use one at each of the power points that you use for the PCs. A brilliant solution.
I use one at each of my workstations and one for my Sky Box and they work perfectly and they're simple to set up.
This is what I do. DP link homeplug I think it's called. Got on wired up to feed my PS3 and dreambox. Better than any signal booster as it is hard wired. You can even get ones that don't render the socket useless. Best thing I have bought this year accept carbon for the nelly

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I used a booster a few years ago to access a network that was diagonally across the street.
It's stored in my garden shed if you want me to find out exactly what it was.
If you get chance that'd be great Errol.

Summary of what I've found so far.... the speed at the incoming BT point / router is just under 7mbps which on an ADSL line is average for the area I live (which is fairly rural with no fibre optic cables into the village until 2020 !)

There are no other wireless devices in use in our house - I just get a weak wireless signal from my 2 nearest neighbours.

Is there such a thing that will boost the wireless signal so when we're using a laptop in other parts of the house they can at least get a wifi signal from our router?
(I think the Solway booster works when you are hard wired / Ethernet cabled in - or have I got that wrong??)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers lads. Sounds like I'm not alone then!!:eek::bow:

Thanks for offer Steve but mine is new! :rolling:

Bought a £30 jobby of Fleebay, it turned up today, it works too. Best have it upstairs away from the router as if it's next to it it's worse!! My lads have their laptops in their rooms and playstaion online gaming is slow and brakes up. Now the booster is up stairs it slingshots it into there rooms with an increased boost.:clap:

Job done.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts