Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Thinking of trading up next summer. Unfortunately no one seems to make the bike I'd really want (a Ducati ST3 with Honda reliability and ease of maintenance).

One of the few interesting bikes I've come across is the Trek. Couple of weeks ago I visited the Helsinki Bike Show and the Benellis were the only bikes that got me excited to any degree.

I do a lot of joy riding in the twisties but I also like to tour and the Trek should fit both bills I think. There are some issues that weigh on my mind somewhat.

Here in Finland I have to do a lot of riding in relatively cold and/or wet weather. Is that likely to be an issue, especially with the electrics?
Is there enough electricity for my heated gloves and vest plus satnav or will I be stranded with a drained battery if I ever switch the bike off during a ride?
Also, how good is the wind and weather protection? I'm a skinny guy and kind of chronically cold (note the heated gear).

There are no official Benelli garages anywhere close enough to do any good.
I'd do most of the maintenance myself and maybe have a (very competent) garage do the stuff I can't or won't do.
Is there an online copy of the maintenance manual somewhere? I could only find a user manual. I'd like to have a look to see what to expect.
Apparently the valves are shim and bucket type, but do the cams need to come out to change the shims for example?

I suppose if I'd get a 09 model, all the starter issues etc that some have had would be sorted out on that. Are there other known/common issues?
How is the reliability overall? Be honest ;)

Also Nellies seem to be rather thirsty. Is that a Tornado issue or Trek too? How bad is it?

Well, that's probably enough questions for one message, I'll come up with more later.

Hopefully I get helpful answers and not just the "ooh ooh it's brilliant you should buy five immediately" :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tre-K

some_finn

have a look at the 'Fuel range' and 'How good are these Tre-K's' threads, broad range of comments.
I ride one and am very pleased with the package

Tuono

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have a look at the 'Fuel range' and 'How good are these Tre-K's' threads, broad range of comments.
Yes, I read those before posting my questions, and browsed through several pages of old thread subject lines and checked out all that looked interesting.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As tony the tiger would say therrrrrrrrrrrrre great.
Become a trekkie you will never look back. To busy lookin forwards on them twisties:rolling:

Live long and prosper!!:ele:

·
Registered
290 Posts
As tony the tiger would say therrrrrrrrrrrrre great.
Become a trekkie you will never look back. To busy lookin forwards on them twisties:rolling:

Live long and prosper!!:ele:
Nanoo Nanoo (s**t got it wronge agian):rolling:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
great bike yes a few issues nothing major though as for fuel well thats down to your right hand lol ,now mines remapped the eco mode did 185 to the tank mixed riding

G

·
If you have 1 then i can't help but think that the 1130 trek is the only 1 to have.
I've looked at the spec for the 900 and is seems to me that is going to be well under powered.
Loaded up with luggage and a pillion anywhere but the motorway just 105bhp at the crank and lowish torque figures will make the bike a real pain.
Shame cuz if the engine had been closer to the Tornado spec it would have been a good alterative for those who don't want the 1130cc price tag..
HAS ANY1 RIDDEN 1 YET
Kind of spoilt it for me because i was considering a new 900 because of the slightly bare'r looks and the price but don't think i will now
GET 1 BOUGHT FRIEND I THINK YOU'LL LOVE IT

·
Registered
52 Posts
@some_finn:

The TreK is a smoothful Allrounder. I have one in green-silver.

Electrics: The problems of the first Tornados and TNT's are solved in most cases. Not more problems than other bikes. Some older TNT's and TreK had some problems with a bad battery, but in the last time I heard nothing about that from the younger models.
Weather protection could be better, the windshield is a little bit small. Over 130 km/h I (182cm) have some bad air turbulences in the high position of the shield. Low position is better for this or more speed.

Fuel: Around 6,5 to 8 l/100km. Depends on driving.......

I have a workshop manual (pdf) for the TNT 1130. Engine is the same, some differences in the gear, I mean. If you want to have a copy, send me an PM.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm only a silly german Trekkie.....:bow:

If you are able to read german language, take a look at this site:

http://www.italobikes.de/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=showcat&catid=3

High frequented Benelli-Forum. I think it will be no great problem to write there in english and get some english answers....

Greets from Germany

Tostan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only issue I have with the Trek is the high center of gravity that you feel when riding the bike in the twisties. I know the thing can lay over more, but that high center of gravity makes me feel unstable in tight turns.

G

·
Sorry for my bad English, I'm only a silly german Trekkie.....:bow:

Greets from Germany

Tostan
Welcome friend

Your English is better than 90% of our German and if you have mastered English then you are not silly.
We are all slightly stupid on here, If we weren't then we would not own Benelli's in the 1st place.
I would have a TREK tomorrow if i did not own a YELLOW Tornado and my garage is not big enough for 2 bikes. neither is my wallet :bawl: , But my tornado is for sale :bawl: :bawl: (£5000+) so if it sells i will, in time be a silly TREKIE to.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Only issue I have with the Trek is the high center of gravity that you feel when riding the bike in the twisties. I know the thing can lay over more, but that high center of gravity makes me feel unstable in tight turns.
At last I thought it was only me. Just fitted avon storms and it seems to have balanced it a little:ele:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little bump for this thread as the weather here in Finland has permitted riding again (5-10 degrees C = 40-50 F).

No one has commented on this:
Is there enough electricity for my heated gloves and vest plus satnav or will I be stranded with a drained battery if I ever switch the bike off during a ride?

Also are there pics anywhere of the OEM luggage racks?
How horrible do they look? Are they the standard Givi visual atroticities?
Are the pannier racks easy to take off when not in use? Is it possible to remove them but keep the top box rack?

I have SW Motech QD pannier racks and the top box alurack on my current bike, they are 99% invisible when not in use so the idea of the Givi type fixed plumbing fills me with fear and loathing...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i can`t answer the power question yet but will be able to in time once back on bike (laid up at the moment havent rode bike since xmas :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: ) as for the luggage if you buy a trek you`ll be having too much fun too worry about the looks however i use the givi set up on mine its been great so far,there has only just recently bee a top box rack set up and unfortunately the givi rack was permanent on the 1 i looked at so i have the original side mounts and have a separate rack mount to fit once i`m able its a great bike with just a few niggles to sort out good luck:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
52 Posts
@some_finn:

In this post there are some pics from the different racks and panniers. First pic (silver TreK) is a Givi-rack (with standard Givi-mountings) and the Givi-panniers from Benelli. Second and third pic (green and red TreK) the Shad-rack and the Shad-panniers from Benelli. Then the outdoor panniers from the Amazonas with the third rack, but I don't know from which manufacturer.
http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2269

In this thread lubymat from this forum bought some Hepco-and-Becker panniers and ordered some special racks from a steel manufacturer. maybe a possibility for you.
http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3930

I ordered some Givi-racks from ManiacMotors in Germany, but they have problems to get them. The importer delivered three times the Shad-rack, and I am still waiting for the Givis.......it seems, both racks have the same spare-number (is that called so? I hope so....). In the moment I'm not able to tell anything about mounting and easy-to-take-off, but I will write something about that when I finally have the rack......

Power question: some drivers have some problems with the power, but it seems that's a problem of the TNT not the TreK in most cases, depending on the cooling vents of the TNT. There is existing a better battery from Yuasa and Varta with more capacity and it fits in the original battery place.

Greetings from Germany

Tostan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I've seen those pics and I've actually seen the Shad panniers in nature and even sat on a Trek with them on. But at the time I didn't think to remove the luggage to see how the racks look without the luggage.
That's how my bike would be 95% of the time, unless they are easy enough to remove.
Maybe you can take a pic of your racks once you get them?

Good to know about the higher cap battery option.

·
Registered
123 Posts
All you need is more speed. ;)
The TreK can do pretty awesome job at the twisties, for a kind of top heavy-ish tarmac trailie it is. I've ridden a 1130cc TreK with my knee down, well, almost, anyway, on a small, bumpy back road, and I was impressed with the way the bike handled on that road, and I got almost startled when I quickly gazed at the speedo during that ride. Blimey, I was going faster than with the sportbike I was riding on that same road earlier! If my memory is serving me right, the TreK was wearing the standard Dunlop rubbers. Or possibly the 208's. The typical touring tyres will make it feel clearly less agile and stable.

At least without any panniers or other luggage, the TreK can do quite nicely on the twisties, tyres and tarmac permitting, and you can do pretty naughty speeds without feeling embarrassed, even among some seemingly sportier bikes. It is actually quite a nice bike, and there are only a couple of minor tweaks I would like to see done to the future models.

As for the opening post and the follow-up post in this thread by some_finn, before making up your mind, perhaps you might want to go and test ride a couple of other more common touring bikes, like a BMW GS 1200, Yamaha FJR, or perhaps even the Triumph Tiger. They're better suited for the heated ridewear, heated grips, navigation systems, plenty of luggage, plush seats and so on.

The TreK, on the other hand, whilst being a nice tourer with a couple of panniers and possibly a navigation system as well, is more like a slightly tamed sportbike with more ground clearance. It may lack some all-weather touring niceties, volymes of accessories and elegance of the Beemer or the FJR, but it more than substitutes those with raw riding fun, nice looks, great soundtrack and so on. It's a rider's (sport-touring) bike, with little or no extra accessories or blingbling, a bit like a classic sports car. The Benelli TreK accessory list does include a set of panniers, a tank back, a leather tank cover and a navigation system, though.

It's certainly not anyone's cup of tea, nothing like a "Honda," and you should indeed go and test ride one before you make up your mind. I for one rather like it, and wouldn't mind getting myself one as the second Benelli in my stable, budget and the current economy permitting. But then, I did not come up with my nickname (quirky) myself... :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently looking very actively into trading in my GSX650F (exactly one year old, now 31 000 km on the odo).

I won't go within a mile of a GS if I have any choice in the matter. Also based on the reviews I've read (comparing the Trek, Multistrada, KTM 990 SM T etc) I'm not interested in the Tiger either. I'm definitely looking for something "sporty" that can also tour, not a sluggish soft touring bike that can also be borderline fun to ride in a sporty way.

I just test rode a Ducati Multistrada 1100 and a KTM 990 SM T. The Multi wasn't quite as good as I expected but the Katoom was very nice. Even the smallish screen offers very good protection even though it's hard to believe just looking at it.

Unfortunately the 'Nelli importer has the only test Trek in Finland and they are located over 400 km away. :(
Of course it would be possible to ride there and back on the same day but it would be an extremely dull ride as I would have to keep to the big highways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts