Benelli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, all the planning, servicing etc, all down the toilet when the cambelt gave up doing 100mph on the a71 toll road in france! spent the whole week doing all the phoning & arranging as the european direct rescue were as usefull as a chocolate firegaurd, ended up hiring a van & bringing it back myself, hertz trying to screw me for 916 euro's for 2 day van hire & i'm not going to have it for the day at rockingham thats already been arranged & paid (£350.) cost me £2000.00 in all to sit in a hotel,(with small blasts out on friends bikes) & no idea of if i'm going to get a replacement engine or not & if i do will i have to pay for the most expensive first 2 services all over again ?, can't believe the belt snapped as she has only done 4000mls on a jan 05 year. After hearing all the bad luck of many on the forum, i've now joined in properly as i hadn't up till know had any agro. Bugger, Bugger, Bugger !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What a 'bummer' Gary.

Why do these things always seem to happen when they are going to have the biggest impact?

Any idea how you stand warranty wise?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Laurence, I am told its still under the 2 year warranty, but the way my lucks going lately i wouldn't be supprised if they worm there way out of it. I think i will try & locate a patronas engine somewere as they have said that they are sending them all back, it cant be any less reliable than the bloody triple in the benelli ????
I was on my way to riom just this side of clermont ferrand by the way laurance, sorry for not replying on other post, but had probs with broadband connection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gary, I'm really sorry to here that mate. I really am:( I'm kinda guessing how you must be feeling just now, but I have to admit that reading about everyone else's misfortunes (bloddy shoddy workmanship on Benelli's behalf more like>: ) is really starting to get to me. I've composed an email to Benelli asking them to extend my warranty due to the time that it's sat in a garage doing nothing but gather dust. Who knows what will come of that but I thought that I needed to be heard rather than sitting here doing nothing about it.
Keep us all informed about your progress Gazza and stand and fight your corner mate with Benelli if they try to give you any grief. You have everyone here behind you buddy;)

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: question

Yeh thanxs Al, keep me informed if you have any joy with the extended warranty, i will certainly be trying to get one. And yes it is a cam chain, but might aswell been a pair of tights for the length of time it lasted irfuel !!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

that's pure sh.t:evil Hope Benelli take their responsebility.
If it's still within the 2 years warrenty it will not be a problem I guess.
A broken chain is definitly a warrenty issue.

Good luck buddy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A BROKEN CHAIN!!.. that's NUTS..
Can this thing be changed prior to it breaking? Kind of as a preventative maintenance or something?
I mean.. .. Chain = new engine.. I would hate to have this happen to me, as I cannot afford a bike, then a new engine shortly afterwards.. And my wife would pretty much kill me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: question - Breaking Cam Chain

The chain must be replaced at 25,000 km intervals. Not many have actually got there yet though. Mine is due shortly. The guide that moves with the tensioner must be replaced at the same time.

I know of 2 Tre's that this has happened to - I suspect both were at high revs at the time (which shouldn't be a problem). It's hard to believe that the chains just broke by themselves. Neither Tre's had high kms on them.

Rather, I suspect that the tensioner wasn't doing it's job, allowing the chain to run off and all hell to break loose - including the chain being broken.

No-one has actually defined the cause though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary,

A sad situation indeed, can feel your pain and frustration.

Did you say that your bike is from Jan 05 and is it a stock Tre or an RS????????

Can you check what the engraved date on the engine is should be somewhere on the head block or cam shaft block.

If it is an 04 build then they are possibly still running the same cam chain as i am aware of this happening on a 02 built engine.

Hope your dealer fixes it for you asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's bad!
our dealer gives only 6 months warranty !!
my bike is 1 year old and done 7000km...
maybe I'll sell the bike tomorrow !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts