Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: can someone please tell me y my tnt sport with only 600miles will start once then if i stop it. i can get it to start again!!!!!!!!
i have to wait about 10 mins before it decides to start again ...its really pissing me off!!!!!:bawl: :bawl: has anyone got a reason for this....

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm sure you will get a really useful technical answer soon.

BUT in the short term, starting the bike takes a lot of juice from the inadequate electrics. Since you have a new one (?) the situation may have improved but I think you need to try not start and stop it basically. The time you have to wait I think is the time taken for the battery to recover, but in the end you need to keep an optimate or Datatool optimiser handy to keep the charge topped up.

I could be wrong but as I have said in an earlier post, starting and stopping kills 'em, it doesn't retain the charge that well.

Apologies in advance if I'm totally wrong! but the above is good advice anyway, whatever the bike.

·
903 Posts
Non starter

:p

Tonyz are you using the throttle when starting your bike as this is a definate no no. It floods the engine preventing the bike from starting for some time.
Benellis should be started by pressing the starter only.

Just a thought.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
as Lloyd says it sounds like flooding, dont use the throttle when starting also when it does run what is the idle speed?....and does it run hot or lumpy.

·
903 Posts
It won't start!

:p

I have been speaking to Red Dog Motorcycles re the non starting problem some people have been experiencing. It seems that there are two problems apart from the possibility of starting using the throttle.

The first one is that the starter motor isn't man enough, Benelli are replacing the it with a new stronger one. Red dog have done this to a couple aready.

Red Dog think the second problem could be fuel vaporisation when standing after the bike has been on a run. They have found that when the bike is left for half an hour or so the bike will start up! At present they have not had a reply from Benelli regarding a cure.

Might I suggest that all TNT owners make a note on whether you could have this vaporisation problem. If so it might be worth contacting KJM to see if they could put pressure on Benelli to come up with a cure. (The fan mod goes some way to helping this problem but may not eliminate it altogether.)

Hope this is of some help to you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As a soon to be Benelli owner I am of course interested in anything that may cause me to have a less than WOOHOO! relationship with my new bike. Can anyone provide details of exactly what the vaporisation problem is, and how to identify it. Perhaps some enterprising owner might figure out a fix :bow:

·
1,841 Posts
If heat from the engine is causing vapourisation,or fuel rail pressure problems, fibre washers could be placed between the rail brackets and the bodys and the fixing screws to reduce heat transfer. ???????

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I think you may be talking about vapour locking; I posted on this subject some 18 months ago.:(
Basically it’s a phenomenon with some 4 stroke engines (dependent on valve timing/overlap ignition timing etc) where when you switch off a hot engine it continues to breath, this means that fuel and air are drawn into the compression chamber (on top of the piston) and as you try to turn the engine over to start it locks due to the extra compression and sometimes actual liquid (petrol) pre-igniting.
On racing engines, they get round this problem by dramatically retarding the ignition whilst the starter motor is cranking the engine, as soon as it fires up the timing reverts back to normal.
In some engines valve lifting has been used, this method holds the exhaust valve open whilst the engine is being started to evacuate the chamber then it closes to allow the engine to start.
How does this knowledge help the Benelli TNT owner with a problem…..well I have sent several emails to the factory and have also spoken to reddog suggesting that the factory carry out a simple modification to the mapping to incorporate the ignition retarding idea, which I am confident will fix the problem. still not had any reply from the factory, at the moment my new sport seems ok.............Iwill keep you posted on any news :doh:

·
1,841 Posts
Terry, I have just looked on the map for a 900 and the ignition is retarded back on idle (with no load) 1.9 degrees..when hot. what map number is the tnt and i will look and see if the ignition does retard like the 900 if I have the map...
Just looked on the tuneboy site and the tnt is not supported ! so i cant have a look after all. Do any tnt have the sagem 1000 ecm ? or are they all walbro ?

colin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Y won't it start

When you say it won't start, does it crank over?

If not, it's not a vapor lock problem, it is a starter muscle (as has been posted), a battery (also been heard of - dodgy batteries), or poorly sized wiring (see posts for more info - also a common problem) problem. Do you put the bike on a charger when you are not using it? [My ducati needed this attention (in fact, the 999's have a factory hookup for a Battery Tender - you'd think the engineering money would've went into soving the problem rather than adding a band-aid, but I digress...]) I would get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage when cold, it should be at least 13 volts. Start it up (with help) while looking at the voltmeter and note the lowest voltage on the battery during cranking. Then take it for a ride to get it warmed up so you know it won't start. Shut it off and hook up the multimeter again - check the voltage and see what the difference is with the original number, then try to start the bike while looking at the voltmeter to get the lowest number again. Both should be close to the cold number. If they are vastly different, it may be the battery or the small wire size. Copper has a funny trait in that it's resistance goes up with temperature, so if the wires are borderline to begin with and routed where they will get hot, this could be just enough to cause the problem, as an increased resistance in the line will rob the starter of power.

If the bike cranks, but won't start when hot, you may very well have a vapor lock problem, but this is unlikely.

Dean

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is a wide spread problem

I picked mine up just about a month ago now. exact same problem. In fact the dealership i bought it from had told me that all their bike are doing the same thing. they don't want to sell bike untili they fix it.

i have replaced the starter, the battery... same thing. the dealer had contacted benelli and they are 'working on it'. suffice to say that i am pissed but i will get this thing fixed. don't crank it or else it will drain the battery then you are really stranded...

i have read a lot of responses and i haven't really found one that actually defines the problem and solve it.

joe

·
Registered
381 Posts
No one with starting problems has actually described what's happening - does the bike turn over, does the solenoid click... :confused:

Anyway mine refused to start today and is down at the dealer being looked at at the moment. The problem I'm having is that the starter motor isn't turning over, all I get is the solenoid clicking when the button is pressed. I checked and the solenoid has 12v on the starter side when activated so it looks like a starter motor issue. I'll post when I know a bit more.

Mike

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well, it seems Benelli`s aren`t the only Italian manufacturer to suffer the starter motor/ battery dying gremlins:doh:
I read in MCN that the 1098 suffers from the same problems!!!!!!
So much for ducati`s new flagship.:rolling:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Battery charge

I have a bit of a problem with my tornado rs as the battery seems to drain to quickly all the time so reading this little lot i'd better get an optimiser.That'll teach me for buying something just on looks!:doh:

·
Tricky
59 Posts
I had similar problems

I found that if you increased the idle a little from the recommended 1300-1500rpm to 1800 the bike starts first time every time.
regards
Richard:clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts