Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around for one way bearings online as you do and I found a reference on Amazon.com about the a sprag clutch that would fit yamaha and benelli ?

Or is this a dead end ?

Cheers

Sammy

·
6,025 Posts
If you could get some measurements you may be able to confirm it as an alternative.
You still have the remains of yours don't you?
L&L Extreme may be able to supply the info you need.
I could do it if you have difficulty, but I would need the part.

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could get some measurements you may be able to confirm it as an alternative.
You still have the remains of yours don't you?
L&L Extreme may be able to supply the info you need.
I could do it if you have difficulty, but I would need the part.
I asked them but they couldn't provide any measurements.
I have to take it out first anyway and see. Can't right now because my chain tool is at my friend's but when I get it back today i can check everything.
What is your opinion on just replacing the the one way bearing and not the entire unit if it looks in good shape?
Thanks Engenia

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took out the starter clutch and satellite gear and everything looks well. Which is kind of good news but doesn't explain why it won't lock when cold.
In my hand i was able to manipulate it into not locking when spinning in opposite direction and then into locking direction it sometimes didn't loch for a whole turn or 2.
Should I try a new bearing even this one looks good?

·
6,025 Posts
Chances are the bearings and the shaft they turn on are worn ever so slightly, but I've never had one apart, so I can't talk from experience. I did try to rebuild one off of a 124 Coupe many years ago, with little success, even though it all looked good. My feeling, after that exercise, is that once they start slipping, you're better off replacing all of it.

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chances are the bearings and the shaft they turn on are worn ever so slightly, but I've never had one apart, so I can't talk from experience. I did try to rebuild one off of a 124 Coupe many years ago, with little success, even though it all looked good. My feeling, after that exercise, is that once they start slipping, you're better off replacing all of it.
My gut tells me that the starter clutch is working fine. A motorcycle mechanic told me it is possible to manipulate the clutch in your hand and make it slip in the locking direction.
So one of my theories is that the motor/ solenoid ( I am using a spare cheap solenoid instead of the original one to try help my starting issues a few weeks ago) might be interrupting the current to the motor and therefore make the starter clutch slip ?
Because the starter clutch is only like 1000km old and works fine in my hands if dont manipulate it.
But if anyone has a different angle to this problem please share.

·
6,025 Posts
So one of my theories is that the motor/ solenoid ( I am using a spare cheap solenoid instead of the original one to try help my starting issues a few weeks ago) might be interrupting the current to the motor and therefore make the starter clutch slip ?
You could always try bypassing the solenoid with a big old screwdriver. Make sure you're in neutral!

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The clutch locks when I turn it straight away into the locking direction but i spin it the other way and then quickly change the direction it doesn't lock at first and slips for about 1/2 turn sometimes more or even whole turn before it's locks again.

Yes correct oil 15 w 50.

Yes very clean no debris.

·
Registered
TNT R160
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The starter clutch is working fine now after i took it apart and cleaned it a bit with WD40.
No more slipping no matter how hard I try it in my hands.

Discovered a nick in on my gear box.
Good time maybe to change gear box and install new slipper clutch and stop worrying about the leaky dry clutch.
I will have to clean the gearbox a bit more tomorrow. It has been in storage for the last 10 years but looks to be in very good condition.
I am out of WD 40 😂.
To be honest it does it all. Absolutely brilliant stuff. 😃
Automotive tire Light Tire Tread Rim

Gear Crankset Bicycle part Groupset Auto part

1 - 16 of 16 Posts