·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the Cat and Fiddle thread

Wots your favorite road and why..
I'll tell you mine when i can find my map and get the road numbers rite

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Good idea for thread, My one is easy, out of the house bang a right onto A7020, templand road, for 11 miles, gives me a chance to get into the groove as it were, Turn Right onto the A701 for a couple of miles into Moffat, keep on the A701 to Penicuik this is the Devils Beeftub road. Superb road with a good mix of straights, corners etc, good flowing road with a decent surface.
My folks live in penicuik, so chance for a cuppa, turn round and head back, same road, but seems so different on the way home. All done about 110 miles with a big smiley face.
I will admit that when I relocated from Penicuik a big part in moving to Lochmaben was the fact that the road to my folks was so good for a bike run. Am I so shallow?
cheer, Fraser

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
hmmmmm soooo many to choose from round here!!!!!!!! the A57 from ladybower to riverlin post office :) or the road from tideswell to bradwell long 160mph+ straight followed by sweeping bends :) or the road from holmefirth up to holme moss like a small alpine road with its hairpin bends :) let me think of some more:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ponys fav roads

Rite then, here we go

Down to Shrewsbury which ever way takes my fancy then south off the ring road on the A488. Follow thro (and you mite) Bishops Castle, Knighton and on all the way to Panybont.
Here turn rite on the A44 you will come to a fuel station and cafe called Crossgates. Top brew, loads of bikes there.
Turn right out of the cafe up to the island and right again onto the A483 Newtown road. Brilliant road BUT has been the seen of quite a few deaths, 1 was a good friend of mine, just me and him out and i'll never understand why it happened. So this road demands great care but its brilliant, follow on up to Welshpool.
After this, sometimes its Oswestry Then Whitchurch then stoke and home or Shrewsbury A53 Market Drayton. Pick up the A529 Then A523 to Woore and back towards home.. Average 250 to 300 miles.
I do like North Wales aswell, Llangollen then Ruthin on to Denbigh and west to Betws y coed takin in the Pondarosa cafe BUT FULL OF POWER CRAZED PLOD

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Mine is Palomar mountain and the surrounding areas. It is about 30 miles from me with decent roads getting there. It is 2662 feet and goes up to 5170 feet elevation. I startoff at sea level. it is about 9 miles long
here is a bit of it taken from google earth. Hairpin after hairpin. A favorite for all local riders. Accidents virtually every week end and numerouse deaths.
Cops patrol with cars bikes and airplanes.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
One of the most exciting small roads and not near me is the A251 which runs between the M2 and M20 small twisty in an odd way . Another one i like is the road from Banff that goes to Inverness (nice butty bar halfway along :) ) and of course the A82 from Inverness to Fort William . A near one was a road years ago fun fun fun and its the Buxton to Bakewell road but its gone down to a 50mph and police presence road (theres a big sweeping bend as you have come down a dual carriageway in a tree'd area and its fantastic .

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
i know the 1 angus!!!! my rant again 50 limits:mad: :mad: :bawl: :bawl: :sleepy: :sleepy:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I agree the council stealthly bringing in reduced speed limits :mad: ,that bit after the dual carriageway is like being in Austria as it sweeps left /right and then you sweep round a large open left hander which is knee down back wheel sliding material !!! into a small section where you can turn left signposted Chesterfield , great road just makes you nervous now :( . that holme moss one is scary if you come up to the top from Holmfirth and then go between the Snow Marker Posts downwards as its so easy to go off the edge and vehicles never get recovered !!.

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
holme moss not the best pic but only 1 i could find on google thats any good :doh:

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
down that bit you mean!!!!! you can't see the bloody big drops tho on this pic:bawl:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Like others I think roads and so so many come to mind.
Many of my favs are in North Wales, but beware, as Simon says N.Wales Plod!!

Try the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd. Wonderful section of road with lots of cross-views :D

Ruthin on B5105 to Cerrigydrudion, B4501 past Lake Brenig to Denbigh are also excellent with full mixture of roads and surface :D

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Pffft, you guys are a bunch of wimps;) A little bend here and a little bend there .... that's nothing!

Now that I'm a pedestrian .... this is my favourite little stretch of road:ele:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=daa_1234113108

Al
(Did you know our eyes are always the same size from birth?)
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
GO BIG AL
Thats a hell of a death defying new hobby you have now friend.
Who new being a pedestrian could be some much fun.
I do believe thats quite a long ride out to partake in your new found pass time tho friend

I can feel another thread coming on
Video of DEATH CHEATING HOBBIES

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lincolonshire has some good roads to

The A157 from Louth to Maltby is a good 1 then rite on the A1104
The A 153 from Sleaford to Coningsby used to be great
Further south, a regular run for me is the A6006 from just south of Kegworth to Melton Mowbury then the B676 to Colsterworth. The A151 to Bourne all brilliant roads BUT :mad: PLOD have wised up to them so some care is needed

·
349 Posts
Simon i agree with you ,the A483 is awesome.When you get a chance come down to Abergavenny.Leave the town on the A465 and then take the B4521 across to the A49 Hereford road.It is a lovely twisty up and down B road that is always quiet.Tiring but great fun.Riding flat out at 60 - 100 mph is very satisfying.Mind you i do like the 100 - 140 mph blasts up the Newtown road as well!!. Lou loves the challenge of staying on as well.:clap:

·
349 Posts
And when you get to mainland Europe then the N500 down through the Black Forest in Germany takes a lot of beating.That road really has got a "lot" of everything!!!.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts