Benelli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another owner here, well its my second one :) first one I had was a Euro 4 model in Silver and just didn't like it in that colour, so after wrapping pipe, adding bar ends, removing exhaust heat shields and the mounting lugs and adding fork gaiters I sold it on after about 6 months of ownership. As always goes, instant regret sat in, so this month I purchased a Euro 5 model in black, sadly from the grandson of a guy that bought one and passed away. The plan is to remove the top box and huuuuge screen it has on, wrap the pipes and add bar ends again. Can anyone confirm that the Triumph T100 for gaiters are the correct fitment. I seem to recall I had HD ones on my previous Imperiale. Will be adding pics in time, happy riding everyone

·
Registered
2021 Benelli Imperiale with cheese
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello fellow Imperiale owner, there's not many of us so we seem to be a bit of a breed of our own(y). Yes T100 gaiters are a direct fit, I bought some from ebay last summer for £26 but I've recently noticed that they are starting to perish so HD ones might be a better option but then I suppose it depends on the quality of the rubber. I saw your bike up for sale on ebay a couple of months back, and I do think they look better in black although the top box fitted on yours doesn't really suite the style of bike but then that's just my opinion. Why are you wrapping the exhaust?

Here's a link to the gaiters I bought although the seller wants £30 for them now FORK GAITERS + clips Triumph T100 Hinckley Bonneville heavy duty rubber A9638018 | eBay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Lads.I'm really enjoying this discussion. Hopefully getting this 400 in the next month or so.

Can't wait to post a few pics when I do.

Ger.
Hello my friend. The Imperiale is a great bike, they've got there 'quirks' but then I think that gives them a bit more character. I think you'll have great fun with one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well. Just put my deposit down on Friday. Hopefully collecting in the next week or two 😁
I think you'll enjoy owning your Imperiale, great bikes to ride! Be a bit wary of corrosion mind you. I rode mine through the winter and had corrosion issues on the rear shocks, front brake disc, those funny little grab handles that you use to put the bike on the centre stand and the spokes and wheel rims, a bit of a list I know! I rebuilt the shocks and 'addressed' the rust issues, this cost me about £40, difficult to explain what I did so when I get chance I'll put some pictures up. I covered the grab handles in that black electrical heat shrink tubing and I think they come out quite well, that cost me about a fiver, I resprayed the front disc and I've just had a pair of stainless wheels with stainless spokes built for mine and interestingly the wheel builder told me that he's had a couple of 6 month old Yamaha Tenere's with rusty spokes and corroded rims to rebuild so I don't think this is purely because it's a Chinese built bike, it seems Japanese bikes suffer from the same issues these days. The shop that refitted my tyres also said newer BMW's suffer from the same problem as well so the German stuff aint much better! Another thing to keep an eye on is the rear pads, mine gave up at 3500 miles which was bloody annoying but the front's still have loads of life left in them.
Don't worry when your exhaust down pipe discolours and goes quite 'blue' these polish up nicely with Scotchpad and some Autosol.

That's about it for now, let us know when you get your bike and how you get on with it.

Jerry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here's some piccys,

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I forgot to mention, the paint started to 'flake' on my gear change so I resprayed that as well.
As for the rear shocks, I removed the springs and got some grey large diameter electrical heat shrink tubing, are you starting to see a pattern here:rolleyes:, and covered the centre 'shaft' of the shocks with it. I resprayed the chrome adjusting collars and I purchased 2 stainless steel thimble measures to cover the dummy gas canister things at the bottom rear of the shocks. If you're not sure what thimble measures are they are what pubs use to measure out spirits and I bought 2 chrome kitchen tap inserts to put in the tops of the thimble measures. When I refitted the shocks I bought 4 stainless steel domed nuts and stainless washers because these had started to rust also.
There is some rust starting to show up at the rear most or the swing arm and an engine mount so at some point I'll be getting the rattle can out again and giving these a going over. I ride my bike almost every day for commuting in all sorts of crap weather so what I am doing is trying to make it British weather proof, (probably banging my head against a wall with that one).
At present the bikes cost me £3900 to buy, £800 for wheels which included getting the tyres removed then refitted with new tubes, just under £40 to refurbish the rear shocks, around £20 for various stainless steel fasteners and washers, £21 for rear brake pads (still pissed about that), £15 for a black military style 'stuffa' pouch, you can't see this in the pictures 'cause I've mounted it on the other side of the bike, about £25 for spray paint, £15 for various stickers, £5 for black heat shrink tubing, £15 for the mirrors, I only fitted one so I've got a spare!, £12 for the indicators and £8 for a small number plate.
So all in my Imperiale has cost me a tad under £4900 to get it the way I want so far. Is the bike worth it I don't hear you say? Well to me definitely yes, no other manufacturer builds anything of this style other than Royal Enfield but I'm not really a fan of RE's.
Will I get my money back if I sold it on? No I won't but then to me that's not what it's all about.

You've probably fallen asleep after reading all this shit! so I leave it for now.

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope!
I haven't fell asleep. That's fascinating what you have done. The tubing on the grab handle is a great idea. That's thinking outside the box. I too will be interested to see how the impact of the Irish weather will have on the bike, Your list of improvements is really helpful. Looks like I have to reassemble my tool kit!!

The wheels? Did you purchase them? Or have them dipped? Just trying to understand the rebuild process?

Also. Your mirrors. That's neat. Fixed to the outside.

The bike looks smashing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I had the wheels completely rebuilt by a local motorcycle wheel builder, this chap Facebook လော့ဂ်အင်ဝင်ရန်
he took my Imperiale hubs and 're-laced' them using stainless steel spokes and new stainless steel rims, there are company's online where you can send your wheels and they will rebuild them with new rims and spokes, here's one for example Wheel Building - Services

The mirrors I got from ebay

When you get your bike you'll see that it's got bar end weights, a bit pointless on a 21hp bike but there you go, anyway if you take the weights off you'll see that there's a threaded insert in the end of the handlebars well with a little modification to the mirror mount you can use the threaded inserts to fix the mirrors to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And off I go down the wheel rebuilding rabbit hole ..
Don't get me wrong, like I said I rode my Imperiale all winter. It wasn't the rain that corroded the rims it was road salt that ate into the clear coat Benelli used on the rims and to be fair the front wheel was ok but I thought if I was going to change the rear wheel then I would do the front at the same time.

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone have any ideas or views on carrying supplies as in wet gear etc while biking, other than a back sack. I was thinking of try to get a plate for the end of the bike and sticking a small black aluminium case on the plate.

Any comments or advice welcome.

Thanks, Ger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
He's my baby. Picked it up yesterday !
View attachment 37837
Nice one! Sorry I've been a bit lapse on the replies, It's been a bloody hectic week. I hope you enjoy your new ride, keep us updated on how you get on with your Imperiale.

Going back to your earlier post about storage of wet weather gear I bought a 'Stuffa' pouch from amazon for £15 and strapped it to the black mudguard stay on the left of the bike just behind the chrome grab handle. The bottom of the pouch has breather holes that line up nicely with the black frame that comes out from behind the rear pegs so I cable tied the bottom of the pouch to that. These pouches aren't waterproof but I've put my gear in a carrier bag to keep it dry. I can't seem to find the Amazon item but here's the same on Ebay. These pouches expand and you'll be surprised how much you can get in one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Jerry. Thanks for that. Ya the bike is a growler. Would you have a photo of how the bag looks on the bike?
I'd be interested in seeing how it looks.

Thanks, Ger.
Yeah no problem, I'll take a pic on Saturday and post it on here for you. You will need to loosen the four large bolts that keep the mudguard stay in place in order to thread the two straps on the back of the pouch through but it's all pretty basic stuff.

Jerry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
These bikes do look good without the pillion pad. I've been contemplating removing mine and fitting some sort of rack in it's place. Maybe when I get a bit of spare time I'll look into the idea more.

Jerry

21 - 40 of 43 Posts